Latest Resin Work - and, yes, I <3 Trees

It’s beautiful. I love that you saved your sparkly water and found a use for it!

2 Likes

The alcohol is a liquid carrier that soaks into the wood and carries the powder with it. For epoxy you would just throw the powder directly into the epoxy - start with a little, a very little bit of powder goes a long way once you start stirring the epoxy.

You can also use mica (amazon has a ton of variety packs of normal mica). I’ve been thinking of getting some dual color mica from justpigments, painting a background black, throwing the dual color mica into epoxy (it says it needs a black background to really show off the color shifting effect - that purple/blue effect depending on what angle you are looking at something), and seeing how that turns out. I’ve been using normal mica that I just randomly got off Amazon and it works great in epoxy though.

4 Likes

Wow. Love this.

1 Like

Great tips! Thank you!

What type, brand of resin are you using? Does it level out or do you need to sand and re coat? I’ve never used resin before

I use pipettes and toothpicks to get the really fussy stuff! Also heard that hypodermics are good but I haven’t bought any yet.

Hey, now! I feel like I’m punting all the time, making things that I think are OK but convinced that no one else will like them.

If you feel that way at all, you really ARE an artist! :joy:

1 Like

Currently using this: https://www.amazon.com/EPOXY-CRYSTAL-Gallon-COATING-TABLETOPS/dp/B00NLPCA5Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1546440618&sr=8-5&keywords=resin

It’s OK but I want to use this next time I order: https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Casting-Coating-Epoxy-Resin/dp/B07BM9LHRB/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1546440618&sr=8-4&keywords=resin

I used it on my first projects and I just feel like it was a little easier to deal with.

The most important thing, and one that I’ve forgotten sometimes, is to seal all surfaces before pouring the resin. Clear coat any wood or paper, because once the resin soaks in, it creates micro air bubbles, and to get rid of those you need to hit them with a heat gun and it’s just extra time consuming.

Speaking of which, I need to go heat gun some projects right now, because I forgot to clear coat :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What is your preference for clear coat ?

I don’t really have a prefrence for clear coat, though I guess I personally have had good luck with Rust-Oleum products doing what I wanted them to do. The can I’m using right now is whatever clear gloss my husband had in his workshop.

A great alternative that you can use and throw away I have mentioned several times.