Lather, Rinse, Repeat

stunning!

1 Like

I made a bump, or depth map of an image from my collection, using crazybump. That was close. Then I did some burning and dodging in Photoshop. From there, to Illustrator - add a cutline and save the SVG with the image embedded. (For those interested, the file was 25mb). I engraved and cut it out.

I moved it in the UI to fit my scrap of birch (usually I use a 20x12 piece and move nothing) so I couldn’t just add the puzzle cut and reupload. I opened the job in the UI (thank you autosave!), uploaded a new file (added the puzzle layout and hid the image), aligned the newly imported puzzle cutout to the old cut line (thanks for that idea a while back @jules) and processed the puzzle cut.

It aligned perfect but I leave a little bit of leeway in all of my puzzle cuts by cutting just inside the actual image, so that I can also cut rounded corners.

8 Likes

That is seriously cool.

1 Like

Blown away

1 Like

Y’all are going to give me an ego :blush:

I’m kind of afraid to do another. I may not be able to replicate it.

I saw Stave does some hand painted puzzles. I’m not sure if all of them are handpainted though. They handcut with a scroll saw. Definitely no engraving.

They are a little expensive.

5 Likes

:open_mouth:

There are no words. Actually, I take that back. There are the words “I can’t afford to buy a hand painted puzzle from Stave.”

4 Likes

You did a wonderful job here. The look may not be for everyone, but it has a very unique feel to it and would create wow that will grab some.

1 Like

There’s an opensource alternative to CrazyBump called AwesomeBump. I’m still downloading instally-stuff (visiting the parents, and their Internet connection leaves something to be desired) but it looks worth a try, for those of us who can’t justify commercial software expenditures as business expenses. :wink:

3 Likes

I didn’t even know CrazyBump was commercial. :slight_smile: I stumbled across the Mac beta version, which appears to be a free beta program.

To that end, I wouldn’t expect magic but a very solid starting point at the least. It’s not a one-click and you’re done kind of thing.

1 Like

Oh, good, then I have a backup plan in case something goes wrong with building AwesomeBump from source. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I think the free beta was for the Mac version.

1 Like

People are funny. Typically, the more ambivalent I am about something, the more people like it. Maybe my taste just sucks haha.

1 Like

Do you find that the multiple passes at 100 produce less char on the edges? Do you still use salt to clean them?

1 Like

Significantly less char. Still a little bit (I don’t think you can cut the thick chipboard without some char) but much better.

I’ve gone through a few cleaning processes. I’ve found pool salt to be the best overall from a cost and cleaning perspective. Even the larger grain size gets in there and cleans the nooks and crannies without a problem. And it leaves way less powder residue on the pieces (that had to be cleaned up).

5 Likes

I would have hung it on a wall and not puzzlized it…

Just flip it over, embed some small magnets and hang it on some sheet metal :wink:

Of course you may want to make a frame for the sheet metal…

1 Like

Just what I need! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally wowed by this.

1 Like

You win!

2 Likes

Very, very cool!

1 Like