Layered Altoids Tin Artwork

As a card carrying pack-rat, I find it hard to throw away useful items like Altoids tins. Today’s Glowforge experiment was with multi-layered hardboard artwork.

91 Likes

Awesome! Does it spin?

2 Likes

Alas, the gears are only decorative. Perhaps version five will have working gears!

5 Likes

Very interesting idea for a frame. I like it. Do you have the SVG of the Altoid tin outline?

2 Likes

This is plain awesome. I want one!

2 Likes

Here’s what I used. It’s not perfect but will fit snugly inside of the tin.

altoids_tin

Hmm. How do you upload SVGs?

2 Likes

Thanks – I have more ideas so stay tuned!

Sometimes you have to specify the image’s (SVG is an image) size when you upload it. You’ll see a #x# in the uploaded line. Just increase it before saving your reply.

altoids_tin

I was able to find it in your post. Here it is with a size of 150x200 instead of the 3x4 the site used.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Very cool project! Add a small motor, a couple LEDs and a switch to activate when opened and you’ll be internet famous. :grinning:

5 Likes

pocket steampunk love it!

2 Likes

very cool! How many layers of draftboard fit in an Altoids tin?

1 Like

Five layers. Now how many layers of cardstock?

1 Like

That is freaking amazing! That’s the creativity that is not in my brain.

How soon do we see an ‘Antikythera’ in a tin ?

:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

One of my favorite creations so far. I love watches, and the gears are reminiscent of a fine timepiece mechanism. Great job, and super creative thinking.

3 Likes

I love this. It is just so neat to be able to stack something so intricate inside a small tin.

2 Likes

Thanks – I’m amazed that you can cut something so intricate with this machine!

Thank @skeplin for the idea. I just had to do “my own take” on this idea.

Here is a relief map of my neighborhood. 12 layers of card stock (Elevation changes represented are not that large, maybe 10’ at best, so I need a thin material.) layered inside an old phone case.

This was just a test. Good thing, as I’m not keen on the etching of the card stock. So I think I’ll go with veneer instead.

12 Likes

That looks great! What settings did you use to cut the card stock without scorching?