Learned a lot from doing this design! What do you think of my new treasure box?

I spent hours working on this project! Designed in Fusion360 and made on my GFPro. I used 3.6mm material and stained the wood. Really happy with how it turned out.

53 Likes

Wow you should be. That’s outstanding.

About how long was the build process? (not including laser time)

There have been a lot of treasure chest projects on the forum, and no shade any of them, but this is a new state of the art as far as I’m concerned.

17 Likes

Those are some really clever and attractive 3-d techniques. Great style. I really like that you mitigated the common laser-cut appearance without resorting to painting or sanding down.

20 Likes

Building it does not take very long. I stained everything before I glue so you gotta wait for it to dry. Once it dried I added wood glue to the joints and it went together in no time! Kind of like building a lego project. Satisfying!

Thank you for the flattering complement! I burned a number of braincells working on this. Happy you appreciate it!

21 Likes

Appreciate it! You either gotta sand, paint, or cover them up with other parts. Each strategy has advantages/disadvantages. I’m super happy with this one though. :smiley:

16 Likes

I thought the same thing. The finger joints on the lid were a particularly nice touch. An excellent extension of one or two of the concepts here:

Similar dna to that lid setup. Great work.

15 Likes

I spent hours working on this project!

I’d have taken weeks!

13 Likes

Fantastic!!

10 Likes

This is just stunning! Fantastic work!

9 Likes

Thank you!

5 Likes

Amen! This is awesome.

7 Likes

ditto. this is great.

7 Likes

Very eye-catching! Wow! Love the style.

7 Likes

Looks great

7 Likes

It’s fabulous! As others have noted the 3D effect on the lid is grand, but I’m here to call out the fish scale and the side carrying handles. LOVE it!

12 Likes

As one who has spent a lot of thought on hinges those are great also. I am wondering about the latch in the front, however. Does it have some way of working?

7 Likes

Very nice, indeed. A lovely blend of whimsical, artistic and engineered. Bravo.

6 Likes

Really great project - all your attention to detail really paid off!

8 Likes

I really love the look of your chest!

How many of these have you made? Just the one?

I am curious how your hinge holds up in the back. I love the look of it, but in my experience, those delicate hinges tend to fail on me.

7 Likes

That is stunning! Love all the details on it.

4 Likes