Leather backpack for upcoming Disney trip

Wow! That will certainly get you into the Mickey Mouse Club! Great work! Who wouldn’t want to be a pack horse when you are sporting that swag! I am not only jealous of the backpack, but jealous that you are going to Disney! I am not a fanatic disney guy, but it is a fun place to go! Terrific.

5 Likes

Absolutely stunning!!! I work with leather and I am going to give you a great tip. With your next bag use Chicago screws instead of rivets. The heavier the bag the more likely the rivets will pop at stress points.

Also before you tighten the Chicago screws put a little Loctite on the threads.

18 Likes

Thank you for all the kind comments… they are truly appreciated. I’m a fan of quite a few of you that have commented… so it means a lot receiving accolades from you! OH, and thank you for the suggestions as well… It’s always good to learn new tips and tricks from others.

The pattern I used, for making the backpack, is one that is sold by DieselPunkRo on Etsy. I have purchased (and made) a dozen or so of his bags and hats. If you’re into leather working and are looking for patterns… I’d highly recommend his patterns! In using this particular pattern (Mokoto pattern by DieselPunkRo) I opted to leave off all of his really nice embellishments and straps in order to let the work of the Glowforge be the centerpiece. Almost all of the artwork… Mickey, maps, compass and anchor were purchased off of Etsy as SVG files. I just threw them all together (and added a few little embellishments of my own) in order to render the design in my head into existence via Illustrator and the GF.

14 Likes

Do you think the Mouse Picture will get you in trouble?

Not likely for a personal use self-created item. More like lots of people, including employees, wanting to know where they can buy one too as several folks have suggested :smiley:

5 Likes

I thought about that and I’m hoping that @stanleycampbell is correct! Since I’m not trying to sell it and make money off of the bag… and I’m using it for my own personal use… I’m thinking I’ll be safe with carrying it around.

3 Likes

When someone spends thousands of dollars on travel, hotels and park passes, and a couple hundred more on food and souvenirs inside the park, you gag the IP lawyer, lock him in a closet, and say, “cool backpack.”

11 Likes

HAHAHAHA… that’s quite humorous!

5 Likes

Amazing detail and such precise stitching! Hope you’ll share some of the compliments you’re guaranteed to get on your trip!

2 Likes

The engravings look amazing. What a stunning piece.

3 Likes

Not only will such a stunning backpack be a pleasure to carry around Disney, but the memories you make there will be truly remembered every time you look at this pack! Well done!

3 Likes

Fantastic project! My son and his family go in October. They will not be seeing this post!

Beautiful job!

3 Likes

It’s been said over and over but again, what a beautiful bag you’ve made! The “throwing together” of the images looks seamless and it looks so good as a whole! This is a Disney fans eye candy!

4 Likes

Wow this is incredible…awesome job!

Great finished project. The laser work is great, but the leather work is excellent. Absolutely love this and I can really appreciate the craftsmanship you put into it.

2 Likes

just wow.

1 Like

While Disney is notoriously litigious for copyright infringement on sales, they tend to be far more supportive of DIYers. They regularly provide templates and how-tos for people to make cute decor, food, etc. at home.

8 Likes

Your bag is AH MAZING!

3 Likes

I agree

Again… thank you for all the kind comments!