Leather backpack for upcoming Disney trip

Thank you so much! I appreciate you getting back to me. I love the bag!! Great work.

| jrbryant1 Owner
June 18 |

• | - |

Well… the bag design (the leather pattern) is by DieselPunkRo on Etsy… I believe it is called Mokoto 2 if I’m not mistaken. The original design has two straps on it that look really nice. But, since I wanted to show off the GF work… I eliminated the straps.

As far as the engraving… I just bought a few svg graphics I found on Etsy and threw everything together. The compass was one design, the maps another, the swords another and Mickey was the 4th. Fortunately, I found graphics that matched up pretty well with what I had in mind for the backpack… so it was just a matter of throwing it all together. I broke the project down into several different passes. I engraved Mickey and Disney first… then cut those figures out of DraftBoard and covered those two engraved areas… then proceeded on with engraving the map and the compass and the other figures. I used the same method on the sides as well as the front… engrave the main image… cover it up and continue with the rest.

I appreciate the compliment of your interest to buy the design… but I really have nothing to sell that would be of use to you… it’s just a bunch of random svg files that I bought off Etsy.

Thank you Michael!

Oh my God that’s beautiful I just ordered my glowforge im really praying that I can make something so beautiful. And I’m praying that I can get some help from this forum cause I’ve never done anything like this before.

We’re definitely here to help. The search function on this forum is so helpful - go digging for leather and you will have a wealth of reading before you :smiley:

Thank you for the kind remarks! Hopefully you’ll receive your GF soon and you’ll be off and running on creating whatever it is your mind can come up with. Please post pictures of your creations.

So… did you go yet? Inquiring minds want to hear all the stories of meeting folks over your cool design;)

No… not quite yet. I’ve still got enough time left to decide which arm and and which leg I’m going to use to pay for the trip! :wink:

3 Likes

Update!

My family and I THOROUGHLY enjoyed our trip to Disney a couple of weeks ago. I got quite a few nice comments on the backpack and had a couple of offers to buy it from me. The “cast members” were more prone to commenting on it than other park attendees. Several cast members encouraged me to make them and sell them on Etsy. That’s really not my thing (to mass produce the same thing… too boring)… but it was quite the compliment to hear their encouraging words!

9 Likes

So glad your trip was fabulous :slight_smile: Not shocked at all that your bag drew lots of comments!

:anguished: pretty sure that would bring down the strong arm of the mouse lawyers :anguished:

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the reason I won’t be putting it on Etsy for sale! :grinning:

2 Likes

I tried finding the pattern on his site, but I’m not seeing it anymore. Do you know if he removes patterns after a while? Or would possible ass it back if asked?

Thank you for sharing your wonderful craftsmanship!

Good morning! Here’s the link https://www.etsy.com/listing/646806638/backpack-pattern-leather-diy-pdf?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=dieselpunkro&ref=sr_gallery-4-42&organic_search_click=1&pro=1
You probably just didn’t recognize it because I didn’t put the straps or the little emblem on the bag. Hope this helps you out… and I’d like to see pictures of what you come up with after you finish. Good luck with the project!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

You’re right, I didn’t recognize the original bag at all. I think that is a testament to your own design as well.

Those are very kind words… thank you!

I just saw this post and purchased a couple templates from DieselPunkRo however the files are password protected. Did you cut these by hand? I was hoping to use the glowforge to cut out the shapes etc.

Great design btw!

The guy clearly states that his patterns are for manual use and not compatible for laser or machine use. Obviously you can work around this, but this is stated on the Etsy page that I looked at.

Yes… I cut out the pieces and punched all the holes by hand. And thank you for the kind words! The work I did on the GF was all the artwork.

2 Likes

Good info to know! I did not see that, or rather recall reading that when I originally looked at the designs. Good thing I had too much going on and didn’t buy anything yet. This really got me wanting to try out leather on the GF.

This is amazing work! I love it.

I do know that there are some ways to get Disney designs legitimately for personal use (Cricut is one) so maybe hopefully you’ll be totally fine since you are just using it for yourself.

Has your family seen it yet, or is it a surprise?

1 Like

First… thank you for then kind comments concerning the bag. Secondly, I agree with you, as long as I’m not trying to sell it and make money off of it, I think I’m fine. And lastly, yes… my family has seen it… they all had to find their names on the map. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes