Leather backpack for upcoming Disney trip

Holy Moly! This is amazing! New glowforge owner here. Didn’t realize you could make such cool stuff with it! Great job

Welcome to the forum.

You are in the right place to be inspired and encouraged by other Glowforge owners. As you have discovered, there is talent here.

1 Like

Thank you for such a kind comment.

Welcome to the Glowforge family! You’ll find that there are some VERY talented creators that willingly share their ideas and creations. @dklgood is correct, this is the right place to be inspired and encouraged! Can’t wait to see your creations!

1 Like

This is a great backpack.

Wow. That’s awesome!

Thank you @stuart_riggs and @tracypaul.warrington! I appreciate the positive feedback!

1 Like

Isn’t it odd that they medicate people because they have ‘endless ideas rushing through their brain?’

They don’t you know - the medicate people because they cannot get a grasp on any of the ideas rushing through their brain.

1 Like

Great idea and it looks great.

Can you share how you set it up on the glowforge? How much leather did you use or how many pieces?

Welcome to the forum.

There is a link to the pattern in the original post and a discussion of the pattern in a later post which you might find helpful.

1 Like

Sadly it’s about 3/4 of the way down in the discussion! Here you go @hcslab:

2 Likes

It takes approximately 9.5 square feet of leather and it’s recommended that you use 6 - 7 ounce leather. There is not a single piece of leather that is too big to in the Glowforge… so, you just set up each piece of leather as you normally would set up anything in your machine. As far as the settings go… I used the “leather” settings on the Glowforge.

I didn’t do any cutting with the GF… all cutting and hole punching was done by hand. Basically, I punched all the holes… then cut all the pieces out and THEN used the Glowforge to decorate each piece. It’s really not as difficult as it may look. I found lots of free images online and then bought several Disney packages (svg files) and maps off of Etsy to create all my images in Illustrator. I simply layered all the different images until I had created the look I was going for.

4 Likes

This popped up in my feed again and every time I see it, I am just in awe. I love it and had to comment again. lol I love working with leather but don’t do stitching. Maybe I’ll have to make my own “inspired by” simple project that doesn’t require stitching. (It won’t be a backpack obviously lol)

8 Likes

Oh… if you’re already working with leather… you need to try stitching. It’s really quite simple and doesn’t require a bunch of tools and equipment if you do the stitching by hand! And, thank you for the kind words about my backpack!

1 Like

lol I have problems with my hands. I have only been to my regular doctor at this point. I can’t do stitching though. (Yes, I guess eventually I may need that common surgery but I’m not ready lol)

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that! I can tell that I’m starting to have some issues with arthritis in my hands… which, I’m sure, will inhibit leather work in the not too distant future. Getting old stinks in some ways!

1 Like

lol Yes it does :smiley:
I think I might have carpal tunnel - it started when I was pregnant with my son (who’s 12 now lol) but it’s gotten worse in the last few years.

5 Likes

Look into Turmeric. I have an arthritic knee. 6 capsules of Turmeric 3 in the am and 3 in the pm make me pain free and able to play basketball with guys less than half my age.

2 Likes

WOW… thank you ca_worth!!! I’ll definitely look into it!

2 Likes