Leather embossing / debossing

My first experiment with embossing leather. PG thick leather. Stamp is medium acrylic…2 passes on engraving. Clamped between two pieces of wood.
I’m going to get my hands on some 1/4" acrylic and engrave a bit deeper.

31 Likes

Looks nice. Did you cut out the shape or deep engrave? I’m confused.

The “frosted area” was engraved leaving the fleur de lis raised.

3 Likes

Ah ha! Now that you say that I can see the small outline ridge. Good work so why the cut out and not deep engrave the cut out part too?

2 Likes

Sorry…still confusing you. I did not cut out the inside area…just looks that way because it’s clear acrylic.

7 Likes

(Slaps forehead repeatedly) it’s not you, it’s me.:rofl:

4 Likes

One thing I was pleasantly surprised by was that the two surfaces of the stamp created a slight texture difference on the leather. The raised smooth area really flattened / smoothed the leather.

3 Likes

You’re right. Give a nice effect. Happy coincidence, eh?

Beautifully done - I think the reverse would also look fabulous as the fleur would bulge up :smiley:

2 Likes

This looks really nice!

1 Like

Nice. I keep wanting to try something like this.

Nice technique.

2 Likes

That’s quite the optical illusion! Great work on the embossing…

This is a great! How much pressure is needed to get a good stamp?

Not much pressure required. I dampened the leather then clamped it between 2 pieces of wood (regular shop clamps).

2 Likes

That is cray cray. It looks like it is a cutout, instead of a raised design. Neat.

Debossing versus embossing.

Once again, the replies inspired me to try another version. This time I cut out the design instead of engraving away the background. Here’s a comparison of the two.

Top is debossed…image pressed into surface.
Bottom is embossed…image raised from surface.

11 Likes

Wow, you can distinctly tell the difference. Will have to try this myself!

That is an excellent comparison and it never would have occurred to me that they would like so wildly different. Thanks for taking the time to compare the different styles!

I wiped a little dye on them just for color. Unfortunately, I couldn’t remember which one I used on the first one so they ended up slightly different. But still shows the different result fairly well.

1 Like