Leather Wallet from scratch

Really pleased with this wallet I made in secret for my son.

I got the plans from MakeSupply, adapted them slightly, then cut and stitched my way through to the finish.

As an escape puzzle game designer, I couldn’t resist putting a few little secrets in there too - some which are visible and others which are buried but discoverable.

I also added his initial in Trattoria font, burnished the edges, and sealed them in honey wax, which gives the wallet a really lovely scent.

If you are tempted by created some leatherwork, I’d highly encourage you to try this. I immediately had orders for more (especially after showing some of the discoverables)!

52 Likes

Nicely done.

7 Likes

I love that thumb slider to start the card out of the sleeve.
Great project.

11 Likes

Excellent stitch work. Your first time?

6 Likes

First secret - on the leather when a card slides out!

8 Likes

Yes! I made some leather AirTags afterwards, but put them on last week. Very happy with the result.

5 Likes

Looks great

6 Likes

Your stitching looks amazing and I am sure the secrets will be a lot of fun to discover.

8 Likes

I keep wanting to try leather - this is inspiring me to do so - awesome job!

4 Likes

Many thanks! I have to say, saddle stitch really does need a Third Hand, so I’ll build one should I make another wallet!

5 Likes

You really should. It’s a DELIGHT to cut (fast, but absolutely stinks) and is such a lovely material to work with.

2 Likes

Beautiful work :star2:
There’s a leather stitching pony in the GF designs catalog

7 Likes

I’ve never had a problem with smell when I’ve cut leather. Acrylic and wood, yes, but not with leather. Strange. :thinking:

5 Likes

Well, this was…unpleasant!

3 Likes

I think there are just some odors I don’t detect. I have a hard time even smelling dead skunks when we drive by, unless it super fresh, but have no trouble smelling other things. But I can smell the flowers from our garden that’s 50ft away from the house, at least when the wind is blowing the right direction. Maybe my mind just blocks out bad stuff!

6 Likes

It’s a great skill to have!

2 Likes

This turned out really nice! I love working with leather.

4 Likes

Nice stitching!

4 Likes

me too!

1 Like

Great work! The gf really can help take leather to the next level!

3 Likes