LED floating wall art

I’m never going to get anything else done if all of you people keep posting these cool projects. So many ideas…

4 Likes

Hope this makes sense. The thick acrylic is supported by spacers glued to the back board.

Edited to add that think you can do away with the extra wood layer in the middle and just go with one layer. For whatever reason, I was convinced that the LEDs should sit upright against the wall so they would shine down on the side/edge of the acrylic instead of shining from underneath. I’m not so sure that it’s necessary now and it would be easier to just have them flat against the back board. You do have to be careful to keep them out of sight though.

34 Likes

Absolutely stunning! Takes edge lit to a whole new level! :grinning:

4 Likes

Wow! you took that killer design to the next level! As cool as anything I have seen here. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Genious.

1 Like

Thank you so much, @kittski, for the detailed description. I took a screen shot of your diagram so I can study it further. I am very interested in LED lighting ideas and love your approach. A very successful design.

6 Likes

That is so impressive! I also have a sheet of the light diffusing acrylic and now I’m more excited to try something with it. Thanks for the inspiration!

3 Likes

Definitely some next level sh…stuff there! Nice work!

4 Likes

Fantastico!

2 Likes

Do you mind me asking, how did you do the LEDs? Was it a pre-bought strip? I’m completely ignorant when it comes to LEDs, but would like to learn more, in order to do some edge-lit acrylic.

2 Likes

Don’t mind sharing at all @forhorsman . For this project I used a pre-made LED strip from here

and I just bought a bunch more from here last night

This place is great as well and about one of the cheapest sources. The have some nice pre-made LEd bases as well as the LED strips. You have to sign up to see the prices, but it’s pretty easy to do. (I had forgot about this place until after I placed my order last night :-/ )

7 Likes

I love it! Iys beautiful and very creative. You hit so many of my hot buttons with this! Animal art, the way light travels through acrylic, and low light fixtures (great as night time illumination). I’ll be reading your explananatory posts in detail as I wait my Glowforge! Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the help with how it’s done.

2 Likes

You are super cool (in my book) for sharing all this. Wow! Very exciting project.

2 Likes

omg this is the best thing I have ever seen. I just got my GF pro and am now envisioning all the amazing projects to fill my house now :slight_smile: wow

2 Likes

Oh goodness, thank you so much. I’m glad it may inspire you to make your own great art, and I can’t wait to see it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Did you draw the skeleton design yourself, or did you buy it from somewhere? Really love it, but can’t find it anywhere! Not sure if I’m allowed to ask but really want to know!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Since you are uncertain about file policies, I will share the forum rules here: FAQ - Glowforge Owners Forum

The short version is that it is not allowed to ask for files. If a designer wishes to share their file they post in the Free Laser File section of the forum. If a designer sells their file they usually share their commercial information in their profile.

6 Likes

Thanks @kittski for sharing your work, inspiring and educating us on your technique.
This post and the response form fellow glowfriends embodies the spirit of this community. Thank you.

8 Likes

Hi nicki.courtney I’m so flattered that you like it, and thanks for the kind words. I drew this myself and have never offered the artwork to others, so if you did/do find the file for it somewhere, it would mean someone stole it from me and is taking money out of my pocket. (So I’m really glad to hear you haven’t been able to find it anywhere! :laughing:) But if I do ever decide to offer it, I’ll let you know!

And if it helps; I drew a dog skeleton in my design program and made each bone an individual layer so I could rotate and position them into whatever position I needed. Then I drew the dog outline and moved the skeleton pieces around like a puzzle until they were where I needed them. And to make it easier, you can find basic skeleton images online that you can trace so you don’t have to start from scratch. It was a tedious process, but not that technically difficult.

4 Likes