Lens Material & Cleaning Materials

Sorry about posting that - I should*'ve* PM’d someone at GF first.

3 Likes

Is there any reason to keep the tube clean other than aesthetics. I thought the business end is enclosed.

1 Like

I thought it was made from the solidified tears of FS laser owners? Oops sorry… that was not nice or very politically correct. (Glowforge™ owners are better than that, but it slipped out…):mask:

1 Like

Not that I know of, but it looks much nicer. (Of course the rest of the office looks like a bomb went off in it, but I’m weird with tools.)

5 Likes

There are just two windows, right? Both between the second and third mirrors, one on the gantry and one on the head?

That I know of…I thought they had the lens itself enclosed, but I haven’t taken the head off and checked by turning it over.

(Haven’t cleaned that part. Actually hoping to get one of the lens removal tools before I try it.)

1 Like

As far as I know - only one of the PRU users received that tool. I wonder if the PU recipients will get one (or have an option to get one?)

Might be later…:relaxed:
(Supplies will go out to the actual Production people first, i imagine. These are not technically our machines, and they might want to see how long they can go before they crud up.)

1 Like

Info I received says that I will receive one, I think. I will check. Yes, in box 2.

2 Likes

No problem.

2 Likes

No - we don’t clean our tubes and they’re just fine. You’re right; the output optics & turning mirrors are fully enclosed.

9 Likes

But then you can’t see the laserness happening… :scream:

8 Likes

That tube is a work of art in itself and looks gorgeous when it’s clean!

6 Likes

A steampunk styled GF mod would look amazing. Perhaps a riveted brass case instead of the injection moulding.

7 Likes

That sounds incredible.

2 Likes

I’ve cleaned the windows on my PRU once after noticing that “proven” power/speed settings weren’t quite making it through 1/4" birch ply (from the same batch). After a quick (but very careful) wipe, burnination was again complete.

The inner surface of lid and the tube do get pretty gunky, so I clean them with a damp lint-free cloth from time to time. Jules is correct, though – vinegar & water would cut through the residual film.

7 Likes

Yah with an open bottom, and adjustable Z.

7 Likes

Day 1 after the warranty runs out :wink:

5 Likes

There’s also a window for the distance measuring laser on the bottom that should be cleaned. If you find the laser isn’t cutting all the way through, it could be that this little window is fogged over with soot.

1 Like