Need slightly more cut through... any advice?

Hashed and rehashed, even earlier today:

30 seconds of searching would have yielded way more information.

you might want to consider playing with upping the speed and doing 2 passes instead of 1. I’ve had much more success doing that and having only a little burning of the edges (looks more caramelized than charred). I’m not at my laser right now so I can’t test anything for you at the moment.

1 Like

I have spent hours and hours searching and reading

Why post if you’re not going to be additive?

I have asked a very specific questions that has never been answered on here. Obviously slowing the speed or increase the number of cuts will yield different results.

I have tried numerous configurations (multiple passes at different speeds) and the best result I have been able to get is what I posted asking for assistance on.

Thanks for coming out though.

I think it’s a hard question to answer because one batch of “baltic birch” can be different from another. One end of the board can be different from the other. Somebody could probably suggest a starting point, but your settings are close enough that experimentation is the only way you’re going to be able to dial it in to your liking.

1 Like

I’ve cut using 2 passes in the past at 140 speed, full power, at a 0.18 focus height.

But I’ve given up on that and now I’m typically cutting two 1/8 pieces and gluing them together. It takes about the same amount of time, and there is much less charring.

2 Likes

I have spent hours and hours searching and reading

Why post if you’re not going to be additive?

I have asked a very specific questions that has never been answered on here.

Oh really?

All pulled in under a minute from here:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=1%2F4%20birch%20settings

I was being quite additive, you were posting a question that is done to death, so it seemed pretty obvious you should go back to searching.

Hope you get your cuts to work, but maybe you were a little off base about how unique your question was.

1 Like

BTW I promise I am not trying to be harsh, but everyone’s time is valuable, so I don’t spend a lot of time on padding the message. This information is out there, I promise. You spent hours searching, but when the search was literally “1/4 birch settings” I didn’t think you’d need help figuring out recommended search terms. Sorry if I misinterpreted where you were coming from.

Maybe you read all those already. I doubt it, because what more is there to ask? There’s no magic bullet with settings, eventually you get a general idea and then it comes down to testing. My 1/4" birch can be pretty different from yours. Things like:

• slight variations in the piece
  • ambient temperature
  • how long since you last cleaned the lenses/windows
  • are you masking or not
  • moisture content in the wood

…Can all shift settings numbers around. All of this information is out there in the forums, you’re still pretty new, but if you spend the time to really dig, you can learn a ton beyond what we’re telling you here. Especially listen to @chris1, @julybighouse, and @polarbrainfreeze, if you look at their stats, these guys are heavy hitters and know their stuff.

2 Likes

For my 1/4 inch BB ply, I use speed 150, full power, focus set to .209". I haven’t any trouble with it cutting or over charring. Pretty much the same settings as PG thick maple ply.

FWIW, I use this transfer tape on top and bottom for masking: https://www.amazon.com/TransferRite-Ultra-582U-Medium-Transfer/dp/B01D3UZLIO

Hey, just so you know, that sort of reply is against forum policies. You might want to read the FAQ if you haven’t yet.

To anyone else: Don’t flag him please, I’m not offended.

I’m sorry if I offended you, I really do hope you get your settings dialed in.

Well evan, perhaps you could notice the original questions and if you don’t have an suggestion don’t post

Here is the question below in case you missed it.

“Would anyone have a suggestions as to laser power % that I would need to use at speed 100 to get similar cut through as 105 @ 100?”

To be fair that very specific question hasnt been answered, but it’s for good reasons.

A: it’s a really tight edge case situation.

B: materials are really variable, it’s really hard to get a one size fits all answer there

C: it has been investigated, but searching it will definitely be hard, lets see what I can come up with.

Also, I’m Dave, as in the d part of evansd2. :slight_smile:

Sorry. I’m new. I’m on a Basic model.

1 Like

Yeah here you go: If I were to search for this, I would be looking at “inches per minute” as a term and see stuff like the following:

The way a laser works with wood is really complicated, so it’s not often as easy as slowing down the beam by x percent to get x percent more cutting. You get more charring and stuff at slower speeds and so it tends to “gum up” the cut sort of.

I bet your best bet is going to be to do some experiments. If you hunt around, there are lots of posts about cut testing methods that can get you dialed in pretty quickly. They all basically come down to the same thing, make a bunch of test cut lines at different colors and then use the UI to set power and speed across a range. Find the best one, and run with it.

In my defense my suggestion was to search carefully. Anyhooo…

2 Likes

You know, there is one of you on every forum.

I will be doing trial and error. But man it would have been nice if someone maybe crossed the bridge before and said “hey one time i needed slightly more that 105@100 and xyz worked”.

Isn’t that the point of a community. To be able to share knowledge in an efficient manner.

I have literally spent more time getting told I don’t search and its too hard to answer from you than reading actual insight.

I’ll tell you what, when I’m finished I will post what setting I found hit slightly harder than 105@100 percent in this thread so when someone else asks even a similar question you can get up on the high horse then and tell them they don’t know how to search.

1 Like

We’re all the same guy, we just rotate forums to make your life harder. Just kidding, it’s a team of 5 of us. Juuust kidding. :slight_smile:

Also, I dunno, I feel like I offered some super solid advice. Good luck.

7 Likes

On thick materials, it will also help to change the focal height to a spot below the surface rather than at the surface height. I didn’t see any mention of focal height in the original post.

The beam converges above the focal point and then begin to diverge beyond the focal point wood also works to reflect the beam along the interior of the wood. It also takes a certain amount of energy to pierce the material.

Additionally, flatness gets (more) important at these thicknesses. As non flat material effectively changes how in focus the material is at that particular point.

And even with perfect settings you get imperfect material.

2 Likes

And here I thought you were a cousin of R2D2. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m not nearly that cool, sadly.

For anyone interested, I have the answer to my questions earlier.

To give everyone the full run down, I have been reading the posts around 1/4 baltic birch for the last few weeks trying several of the different suggesting and still running into inconsistent cuts due to the wood I am using.

I had been trying multiple passes at several different speeds, even going as high as 10+ passes at higher speed to try to overcome the issue of not quite punching through in 5% +/- if the entire path.

Last place I left of before this post was to keep dialing speed down on a single pass to 105 which almost had me there but was too inconsistent. I tried 100 speed and cooked.

This led me to the question as to if anyone had a suggested laser power % that would be slightly more aggressive than 105 @ 100.

I was finding small, simply test patterns inadequate as they would often miss the pins and knots that were causing issues and although they cut fantastically on that small scale, once the full size file was in the glow forge the law of averages tossed me an issue and I couldn’t successfully complete the required cut.

After about 6 hours of trial and error I have been able to identify a speed setting that produces very acceptable results in 1/4 Baltic Birch even when it hits these inconsistencies.

I don’t think any other posts have considered or suggested this but if you are struggle with 1/4 in Baltic Birch. I have had success with:

100 Speed
86 Power Settings
Focal Point (0.21) on (0.23) Material

I found this was the most consistent getting through imperfect materials without becoming overly smoky or causing any char.

I will continue to dial it in over the next few dozen cuts tweaking the 86 power up or down slightly based on results.

So for everyone considering multiple pass as your only option, please consider taking the laser power down too. It saved me on this on.

10 Likes