Lens particularly dirty

Hey guys, I’ve wiped the lens repeatedly with zeiss wipes and there’s a very visible layer built up on it. Is there something I can soak the lens in to loosen that up a bit without damaging it or some other more thorough cleaning method I could try?

could you send a picture of the issue? and what types of materials have you been working on recently?

1 Like

What materials have you been cutting recently?

Plywood and acrylic

Very strange, normally the lens doesn’t get that dirty and almost appears scratched but im guessing that is the residue you are trying to remove. makes me think that the fan in the head might be malfunctioning or the air assist fan. support will be able to look into that tho. or it looks like there might have been a small fire in your unit at some time. If it i’snt coming off with the wipes there really i’snt anything i can recommend besides keep trying the wipes maybe open a fresh one leave it folded up and let it rest on the lens surface for a couple minutes and it might loosen or break up the buildup. Other than that unless someone else has a suggestion that wont damage the lens coating you will need to wait for support and could possibly need a new lens.

Isopropyl Alcohol is safe but I would just put a couple of drops on and gently keep wiping. Try to use a fresh part every time to ensure it doesn’t scratch the coating.

1 Like

That looks to me like the coating has been removed/abraded away.

Fortunately, the lens is a replaceable part. You can get one if needed in the Spare Parts category of the Shop.

https://shop.glowforge.com/collections/spare-parts

3 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve run into trouble with your lens. It looks like you’ve already received some excellent advice from other community members. Thanks folks!

If additional cleaning using a small amount of Isopropyl Alcohol doesn’t improve your lens, @jules is correct that getting a replacement lens is the best next step. Did additional cleaning help?

2 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.