Leon is is Myopic: latest production Glowforge is blurry

Hate to have to post this. Perhaps something remote can fix the blur.

While I have been able to cut and engrave and score very accurately from my designs, there is something wrong with the lid camera’s ability to recognize the Proofgrade QRC and align things within specs. These tests were from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM CDT Sunday, September 9, 2018.

The tray is seated properly in the dimples with no obstructions. Lid camera lens is clear. Was blurry from the first time I turned it on. It seems this refurbished unit didn’t have any char anywhere, so it was very clean. Glowforge is seated on a flat, level, even surface. It isn’t twisted. Garage door is firmly closed and snug against magnets. Lid seems to be closed evenly all the way around. Material is dead flat.

This is the back of a piece of Proofgrade Draftboard so I would get a pristine surface.

This is an attempt to recognize a brand new sheet of medium cherry plywood from a fresh start after logging off, rebooting and uploading a fresh design to see if I could recognize the QRC. I tried different times to refresh the screen but it never recognized the material.

Aligning some targets on the Proofgrade Draftboard.

It’s fairly blurry, so hard to tell how far off it is at the edges. Normally I am used to seeing the surface of materials fairly clearly.

cardboardalign
This was to see how it worked over the whole area.

Here was the first attempt Wednesday to document the situation on Draftboard.

Finally here is a shot of the bed. Look how far to the right I was able to do these scores. Is that normal? And I aligned to the top left edge of GFUI for the top left target. Note how far to the right it is rather than the normal 1/2 inch.

5 Likes

Ick. Looks like bad focus. I wonder if when a machine comes back if they fix and QC the whole thing or just fix whatever it was returned for and then miss the final checks they do on brand new machines coming off the line. It would seem that was an easy one to see after firing it up & connecting to it.

3 Likes

After over a year my machine is still more “miss” than “hit” on reading QR codes. I’m always surprised when one is read. It just doesn’t bother me. FWIW, my camera has gotten better with software updates, and I trust it more (or maybe just learned how to compensate) for visual placement.

Hopefully then can get you running to your satisfaction. You certainly deserve to have a well performing machine after the number you sold/kept sold during the PRU days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am so sorry this is happening, I hope they can get your unit fixed up.

1 Like

Yeah, that focus is messed up. Heads-up QC.

4 Likes

Sorry, man — that’s not a good sign.

2 Likes

Try rotating the board 180 degrees so the QR code is in the upper left quadrant. My unit was doing this for a while, but always recognized the material with the QR code in the upper left.

1 Like

Bummer. That does seem like an unusual level of blurriness.

2 Likes

Frustrating. Especially for a seasoned vet such as yourself. Slows your roll. Good luck.

1 Like

Oh no… I’m so sorry your Glowforge arrived that way.

Unfortunately, this isn’t something we can resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one, too. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

1 Like