Let's talk about cork

What material setting is everyone using when they engrave on IKEA cork trivets?

Search for cork settings, there are lots of posts about it.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Cork%20settings

Bottom line is that cork doesnā€™t take much laser power at all. Itā€™ll engrave black at high speeds and low power.

Going too hard will make lots of char. Just play around.

Cork can be sanded too. If you donā€™t like the outcome, sand it down and start over.

Welcome to the forum! Canā€™t wait to see what youā€™re engraving.

6 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement for a newbie, such as myself! Iā€™m feeling confident with regard to which custom settings to use, Iā€™m just uncertain as to which material to choose in the ā€œunknown materialā€ area - since thereā€™s not a cork option.

1 Like

Selecting a material is only for the purpose of using the built-in settings. If youā€™re putting in your own custom settings, you donā€™t need to choose a material.

3 Likes

When youā€™re in the material section, thereā€™s the option of ā€˜use uncertified materialā€™. You can use this and it will ask you to enter the material thickness. Thatā€™s the only thing you need to do for non proofgrade material.
Or, you can choose a proofgrade material similar to what you have and tweak (or not) the settings to fit that specific material.
(Once you find a setting that works for that material, you can save it so you donā€™t have to set them each time!)

1 Like

I never enter the thickness. I just enter my manual settings and then use ā€œset focusā€.

And for my most commonly used materials I now have a few saved settings but I always use the set focus tool before printing.

2 Likes

I use speed 1000 power 25 with 340 LPI (because of fine detail) I also give mine 2 coats of Polycrylic clear matte finish spray by Minwax. Keeps soot from spreading and keeps it looking nice.

5 Likes

See this seems really overpowered to me, as I donā€™t like to seal and Iā€™m not going for depth.

How deep does it end up?

1 Like

Maybe a 32nd of an inch? Very minimal. Truth be told, I liked the look so much I just never got around to testing other powers. It was a last minute gift so I ran with it. Iā€™m sure you can still get just as dark with much less power.

There is always this helpful tool for manual material thickness. Itā€™s worked great for me so far!

https://community.glowforge.com/t/presenting-the-focus-height-ruler-colonial-edition/63414

1 Like

Perfect, thank you so much!

This is extremely helpful and great to know, thank you so much!

Thanks a bunch for passing this info along! I ended up getting a digital calipers reader, which is proving to be a good purchase.

1 Like

I have heard of this and seen videos on doing so to keep the alignment where it should be. Thank you for the suggestion!

Yeah no doubt that is a really nice dark result.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.