Letters trailing off

Earlier made a sign where in the end of the cut, the masking tape came off of the bed, screwing it up. Now on the next sign things are trailing off, the head moves freely when glowforge is off but kind of sounds like gear noises a little when on, what/where do I look to get things back on track?! Up against a hard deadline for the morning. desperate!
IMG_6616|240x320

I presume the noise is new, not clear on what you mean by “trailing off”.

You’re not trying to etch away vinyl are you?

no it’s laserable phenolic

Okay…scared me. :smile:

When you had the masking come up, did little bits of it get blown towards the exhaust? (That can royally muck up the fan…the adhesive is very sticky.)

The variances in the etching that you are seeing might be caused by the plastic moving around while it’s being etched - if the air assist hits it and catches it that can also cause it to move. What are you using to hold it down perfectly flat?

photo=text is “trailing off” warped I guess you can say

thanks for the ideas to check, phenolic is usually something where i don’t use hold downs, very flat compared to wood, gave it a good cleaning, and printing perfectly, almost done… crossing fingers!

Phew! I put paper under it too to see where the material was since was black on black, but I wonder if that could’ve helped with the air assist if that part of the issue. All I know is YAY!!!
IMG_6618

2 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!