Lid Open Message - more info

I’ve tried all the fixes listed and I still can’t get my GF to work. It was printing fine earlier today and all of a sudden it stopped.

I can force it to bypass the “Lid Open” Message with a couple of strategically placed magnets, but when the arm starts to hone/center, there is a terrible grinding noise. We used the magnets to try troubleshooting the issue.

Additionally, the black window fell out - I screwed it back into place.

Help please, as this is my busy season and I have orders to get out.

For Support: We’ve been texting back and forth trying to troubleshoot the issue…she’s checked for debris in the hinges, tray, and on belts and rails. She says the head and gantry move easily through their whole range with the machine off.

She can bypass “lid open” message with magnets to fool the interlock, but when the lid is closed it comes back, so I’m wondering if there’s an issue with the ribbon cable connections back by the hinge.

Also in the midst of our troubleshooting the window in the side of the print head suddenly fell out. She screwed it back in, but now I’m thinking there may be multiple unrelated problems going on. :stuck_out_tongue:

Links to the videos
56660383818__2DD907BC-AC1D-42E9-9A14-C221DD0FC572.MOV
56660597601__616AF667-EE53-452A-A063-BA23978909C2.MOV

Here are a couple of videos @ruthmccabedesigns sent me (she couldn’t get them to upload for her):

Okay, what kind of machine do you have?

basic

Uhhhh…well it’s not likely that the cable is hanging up on anything then…shoot.

Your machine looks like it’s catching on something at the left rear area of the bed, along the tracks there. It’s causing the gantry arm to cant a little, and the stepper is slipping.

I don’t know if it’s software related or not, but if it is mechanical, you want to check that area very carefully…get some mirrors or something and a flashlight to look underneath.

Try starting the machine with the head in the upper lefthand corner, but do not push it all the way back - leave it about an inch out over the grid area. If you can video that it might show something.

(By the way the grinding noise is the stepper motor slipping. It’s designed to do that if it gets stopped short, and while it sounds awful, it’s not damaging anything. It’s just scary. The vibrations might have knocked out the lens, so maybe take it out if you are going to keep testing it…don’t want to scratch it.)

ok

Be sure to not try to run a job without the lens in though - that will likely melt something. Just check for movement without the lens.

It’s the window, not the lens. But she can’t run it anyway, since she can’t close the lid! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Got it.
Thanks for your help.
I’m trying to get the video to you now - I think Ruth R is going to help me get it to you.

Okeedoke. :slightly_smiling_face:

Working on getting it small enough… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can you put it on Youtube? The limit here is so small it’s almost useless.

Yeah, looks like I’ll have to do that. In the meantime, my 3yo grandson is enjoying it immensely. He cracks up every time the head tries to move and makes the sudden grinding sound. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, that’s not good…:laughing:

I’m sticking it on Dropbox – should be there in a minute or two: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsdv9cn65lgrlwl/IMG_9973%204.44.23%20PM.mov?dl=0

Nope…The head shouldn’t be trying to move back when you power it on. (I don’t think…I’ve never seen it do that.) Sorry about that, I think you’ll need to get support input on this. Maybe they can see something from the data.

Thanks for trying.
:thinking:

1 Like