"Lid Open" when it is closed

After I finished a print, I immediately went to start the next one and it indicated “Lid Open”. After I made sure it was closed I did a search and found the Topic titled “Stuck Centering/Focusing: How to Troubleshoot for potential Lid Cable issues before contacting Support”.

I checked all three things listed in that topic and still no luck.

Sidenote: I just got this replacement unit a week and a half ago after my first GF was sent back for different issue :pensive:

Support will likely ask you to check the cable connections, as in this post:

1 Like

Thank you. Just checked the cable connections. All the clips seem fine as far as I can tell.

They will likely need to send out a replacement cable, but that’s unfortunate on such a new machine.

There can be other less obvious ways that the sensors for a closed lid are not activated, the lid can be less than a millimeter off and not kick off the sensors.

A common reason for this is a crumb between the lid and its resting place, or the front door almost but not quite closed. If the machine is almost but not quite flat, it need not be enough to bind the lid to make the sensor iffy.

I have had this show up occasionally and extra pushing the front door closed or shutting the lid solidly (after first checking that something is not in the way) It does not take much the even a slight jar can move the magnets and throw the sensor,

There are two more connectors not highlighted in that post, those would definitely give the Lid Open dialogue if something weren’t connected properly:

One on each side at the front of the lid. I felt really dumb when I glued my lid back on and forgot to connect these guys, got the error then, but luckily figured it out pretty quick :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Woke up today, rechecked everything, made sure I got rid of all the crumbs and dust, got out the leveler to make sure the GF was still level, crossed my fingers that it would all be fixed… and nope. Still says “Lid Open”. :pensive:

I attached pics of the cable connections. They look fine to me but if anyone sees anything out of sorts… I’m hoping for a GF miracle here because I really need/would love to have it working again soon.

1 Like

The only thing I see that’s out of sorts is how clean your machine is! Sorry, hope it’s a simple thing that can be fixed, unofficially there’s a work around on needing the lid to be technically closed, that actually might help to see if the sensors are sending a signal or not. @geek2nurse didn’t you have a link for that?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s for making it think the lid is closed when the front is open – not quite the same thing, unfortunately!

1 Like

Check that the front drop down is pushed securely shut

1 Like

Hi @TaylorTee - thank your for the photos and info you’ve shared so far. I’m sorry you’r running into this lid open trouble.

I’d like to also do the following to check if the lid open error could be from a different source. Could you please do the following?

1. Power off your Glowforge

2. Open the lid and front door of your Glowforge

3. Remove your crumb tray

4. Check for and remove any debris that may prevent the front door from closing properly, particularly the area underneath the front door

5. Close the front door and lid

6. Power your Glowforge back on

7. If you’re still receiving the Lid Open message without the crumb tray installed, please take a look at the following photos and let me know anything looks different. If you see anything that looks different, please take a picture and send it to us. Also, if the lights on the lid of your Glowforge are not lighting up, please let me know.

​ ​

​ ​

Thanks!

Hello @Mike.D.

I followed your instructions. Everything looks as pictured in your photos except for the front door. Mine has these two plastic peices affixed to the outdent right in front of the magnets. The one on the left is slightly bent at the corners. Ill attach pictures.

Aside from that, the lights on the inside do come on and even without the crjmb tray, the Lid Open measage is still there.

Just to get ahead of things… the little bent peice of plastic I mentioned does not seem to be the issue. It doesn’t obstruct the door from fully closing and is poorly adhered so when removed, the issue isn’t fixed.

Hi @TaylorTee - I think in this instance our next best step is going to be to replace that cable. I’ve sent you a follow up email so we can take care of the details to do that. I’m going to go ahead and lock topic just to keep everything neat and tidy. Thanks!