LIFESIZE - Parametric Office Chair - Glowforge Pro

Speechless.

10 Likes

Yes, I can see why you would need dovetails. When I’ve thought about this I’ve thought about making the “stripes” out of two or three pieces glued together, but that each of the three pieces has the join offset so there is always at least one other piece supporting across the join.

I hadn’t thought of just whamming a great big metal bolt through the whole lot - that solves a rigidity design problem at a stroke. It doesn’t all have to be made on the laser :slight_smile:

Have to ask the obvious question, is it comfy sitting on all those edges!

13 Likes

Been sitting on it for over 3 hours now… It’s not bad at all. I think eventually getting a small chair pad would be nice. It’s not that much different from sitting on a solid bench. The layers are close enough together to not really notice, but if I were to wear shorts, I get some interesting lines in my legs haha! There is lumbar support for your back though.

EDIT
It’s going on almost a year, and still holding up strong! It’s my main chair at the office and use it all the time. No issues!

16 Likes

That’s fabulous! I have a few starts-of-plans in my folders for pieces of furniture, but never went through with them. This may be the kick I need :smiley:

SO very cool.

12 Likes

Winner! Nice work, that is next leve GF stuff!!

13 Likes

I had been thinking on those lines before I received my Glowforge and ruined a lot of wood trying to go there, but you managed several leaps that I missed. Fantastic job! :heart_eyes:

PS- 5x19 = 95 and with 4 quarter inch kerfs is 96"=8’

8 Likes

Yes… the plywood width is 20" and the digital file is 19" to try my best for it to have some margin. When I have the 4’x8’ boards cut down, I have them cut to 20"x48", 20"x48", 20"x48", 20"x48", 16"x48".

10 Likes

Getting 5 equal sheets instead of 4 has been an incentive to adjust to that width. Also I frequently have as little as a millimeter or less as margin. Though the 16" wide of my first try still ended up being used, the 20" will not cut all the way across but the 19" will.
This case I needed 3" in a material that was barely over 3"…

6 Likes

@rbtdanforth, :scream_cat: that’s a SUPER close shave!! lol feels so good when you pull off stuff like that! Good intel on the 5 equal sheets too! I’ll mentally note that down for future reference.

10 Likes

That is Awesome!
Thanks for the build pics! Using the all-thread for assembly is very clever.

13 Likes

I’m like everyone else…truly amazed! Thanks for sharing with us!

10 Likes

Fantastic job! Very cool indeed, and I’m sure very satisfying to complete.

10 Likes

I am speechless! I think I need to sit down.

10 Likes

Wow - this is incredible! Awesome job! It looks so cool! I love your choice of paint, too.
Is it comfortable?

I had wondered about making some items in this manner but wasn’t brave enough to start working on anything yet. You might be triggering some inspiration for me! :smiley:

14 Likes

This is a massive practical cut. It looks so good! Congratulations on the completed project.

10 Likes

Thank you all for the kind feedback!! This truly was a labor of love project I took on simply to prove the extreme capabilities of the Glowforge machine :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yes indeed. It is currently the number one question I get asked. I have those people sit in it and they have all exclaimed, “oh wow! That’s pretty comfortable!” It feels better than it looks.

13 Likes

i guess i didnt see it or you didn’t post it but how many sheets of ply was used in this fantastic creation of yours. never it sure nothing like this before in any setup, i own 4 engravers and stay way to bust on them and i lood at the creations from other folks on there sites and there is nothing to compare your chair to anything iv’e seen so far. congrats on your patience of your creation and the ability to create something like this. totally awesome my friend. totally awesome.

9 Likes

What a fantastic project! I can only emphasize all the superlatives everyone else has listed- really a top notch creation - practical and very aesthetically pleasing. Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes details of how you designed and put it together!

13 Likes

HOLY CATS that’s amazing!

20 Likes

I used four 4’x8’ - 1/4” maple plywood sheets from Lowe’s. Each cut into 5 skinny panels of 20”x48”, 20”x48”, 20”x48”, 20”x48”, and 16”x48”

12 Likes