Light Saber Layered

My son is asking me to make him a light saber (Darth Maul’s) with my GF. He wants layers cut out and glued together to make a 3D lightsaber. I’m willing to bet someone somewhere has done this before, but I can’t find anything similar in searches. Mostly I find clip art or svg files designed for the Cricut, completely one dimensional.

I know several of you have done layered designs, so where would I start? I need some Yoda wisdom here, or else point me to a file I can purchase, as I can’t find one.

Thanks, Yodas!

2 Likes

Do you have fusion 360?
Edit - Don’t think its actually needed nvm.

1 Like

No I don’t. I have Inkscape and the Adobe suite.

Was thinking you might be able to get a free 3d model off of thingiverse and use the slicer to chop it into layers for you. But I can see it possibly causing some issues on the buttons and whatnot depending on the level of detail you want. If you used a thin material it could look really cool but be a bit of a mountain to put together.

I don’t think you actually need fusion 360 looking back at it now.
Slicer for Fusion 360 | Fusion 360 | Autodesk Knowledge Network.

If you can’t get the program downloaded you can tell me the dimensions of the materials and guide pins you want to use and i can slice it for you.

5 Likes

You don’t need fusion 360 to use the slicer. I made my husband download the slicer the other day to show him how he can take his 3d files and cut them in the gf. He doesn’t have fusion 360.

3 Likes

Thx :slight_smile: realized that, and edited my posts awhile ago

2 Likes

Sorry, scrolling through on my phone and was just skimming. I saw this line, so I thought I would add confirmation to the statement you made :rofl:.

3 Likes

No worries :slight_smile: Its appreciated, sry if it came across as otherwise. I don’t interact with humans much lol

4 Likes

Hahahahaha:)

4 Likes

I did a Google search for “Darth Maul lightsaber diy” and got a few hits, mostly YouTube videos. Maybe you could get ideas from those.

3 Likes

Looks like it would be pretty trivial to create something close by using a dowel or pipe and laser-cut rings. Take an image, do some basic measurements, create cut file. Looks like you’d need 6 or 7 different sized rings for the end caps, same for the mid sections, and a few lateral fins. The buttons could be single cut from 1/4 material.

6 Likes

I did something like this a while back with wood turning. Same kind of principle: slices stacked like tinker toys.

8 Likes

You may find this series of posts useful:

2 Likes

Thank you all for the great ideas! I see I asked the right group of people! My son will be thrilled.

you say that NOW. however after 1500 hours of design fiddling, construction fiddling , and general and generic fiddling , until you get the finished product . you WILL be singing a different tune :wink:

so figure in about 1500 hours. we’ll all be hiding.

7 Likes

Preach it! :grin:

1 Like

I have a 3D file now. Are you still willing to slice it for me?

1 Like

Sure thing, Where did you grab the file? How thick is your material and what did you want to use for guide pins?

I have to say it is odd Seeing a CELESTE. in print and not referring to my wife :slight_smile:

looking forward to seeing the finished light saber. 1500 hours from now.

2 Likes

There are not too many Celestes in the world. I rarely run into someone who shares my name.