Light Saber Layered

No worries :slight_smile: Its appreciated, sry if it came across as otherwise. I don’t interact with humans much lol

4 Likes

Hahahahaha:)

4 Likes

I did a Google search for “Darth Maul lightsaber diy” and got a few hits, mostly YouTube videos. Maybe you could get ideas from those.

3 Likes

Looks like it would be pretty trivial to create something close by using a dowel or pipe and laser-cut rings. Take an image, do some basic measurements, create cut file. Looks like you’d need 6 or 7 different sized rings for the end caps, same for the mid sections, and a few lateral fins. The buttons could be single cut from 1/4 material.

6 Likes

I did something like this a while back with wood turning. Same kind of principle: slices stacked like tinker toys.

8 Likes

You may find this series of posts useful:

2 Likes

Thank you all for the great ideas! I see I asked the right group of people! My son will be thrilled.

you say that NOW. however after 1500 hours of design fiddling, construction fiddling , and general and generic fiddling , until you get the finished product . you WILL be singing a different tune :wink:

so figure in about 1500 hours. we’ll all be hiding.

7 Likes

Preach it! :grin:

1 Like

I have a 3D file now. Are you still willing to slice it for me?

1 Like

Sure thing, Where did you grab the file? How thick is your material and what did you want to use for guide pins?

I have to say it is odd Seeing a CELESTE. in print and not referring to my wife :slight_smile:

looking forward to seeing the finished light saber. 1500 hours from now.

2 Likes

There are not too many Celestes in the world. I rarely run into someone who shares my name.

I actually bought it on Etsy. The guy has some really nice looking light saber designs, so I asked if he had Darth Maul. He designed it for me.

I’m not sure what you mean by guide pins. Is that something like a dowel you put down the center to align all the discs?

I was thinking 1/8 inch, either MDF or acrylic.

Are you slicing it into discs, or the long way, into vertical slices?

1 Like

Yeah you got it with the guide pins, like tooth picks or chop sticks to help align the layers. Would need the thickness (edit: of the material) as accurate as you can measure because the error would add up across lots of layers, down to the 0.000" if possible. Can slice it any direction you want but because it is a purchased file there might be some issues sending it to me even tho i would probably never use it beyond helping you here. If its an issue and you are able to download the program i mentioned before i could walk you through it step by step to get you where you need to go.

1 Like

She was always bummed she never was able to find “named” items with Celeste on it.

key chains, license plates for your bike etc.

1 Like

Me too! Never had personalized pencils, hair barrettes, nothing!

I’m assuming it would be best to have one guide pin for the entire length? I’ll look for a thin dowel. I have bamboo skewers, but I am not sure they would be long enough.

I would not go with a thin dowel. I would go with a 1/2" or so. between that and gluing all of the discs together, you’ll end up with something very strong.

Here’s a tutorial on how to do this sort of thing…

2 Likes