Light Switch Gear Toggle

I’ve been fascinated by laser-cut toggles for light switches, so I made this for a friend based on one I saw online. The most challenging and time consuming aspect of creating it seemed to be the gears, so I used the files from a spirograph set I found on Instructables for the gears. The rest was just a lot of measuring to make sure all the holes were in the right place to fit the switch. A couple of cardboard prototypes later, it was ready to be cut from plywood. You can’t tell that the light is turning off because there was a separate light shining on it.

70 Likes

A very nice execution on the idea … now I’d like to see some kind of Home Automation gizmo attach to this and put it into motion. :sunglasses::glowforge:

2 Likes

Very cool! Reminds me of the Dr. Frankenstein style light switch I had up for a while. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Fantastic! Especially the action shot.

1 Like

What the what? This is fantastic and yes on the GIF! Love the little hole in the handle to get the switch plate screw! And all the detail!

3 Likes

I love how you made something more complex to accomplish an easy task…but much more cool!!!

3 Likes

Mind=blown!

2 Likes

Who knew a switch could be fun?! VERY nice!

1 Like

That… is ridiculous.

RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME.

1 Like

Enlightening

1 Like

I love this mechanical device to facilitate old technology, but created with new tech!

1 Like

That’s Awesome!!!

I’ve been wanting to make one of these for a while, but I’ve been trying to find a way to make one that moves the activation point down lower for my kids to use. So far the best I’ve come up with is a pull string or a really long stick, both of which wouldn’t stand up to the abuse of children. Fantastic job on yours!

I expect you could use the same basic design as I did, but flip it upside down and make the lever longer. I’m no engineer, but a different combination of gear sizes should make it require a lot less swing to operate.

I like that. If I did it upside down, I might be able to put a lower gear down the wall and rig up a pulley system.

I love the idea but I wonder how long it would take me to get sick of it :joy:

2 Likes

This is great. There are a lot on google images I found under “steampunk light switch”

I love that!