Light-up Xmas tree & Box

I made my own stock by sandwiching acrylic with maple veneer and then lit it from underneath with an under cabinet led.

I then realized that I needed a pretty storage box and custom fit packing materials. It was supposed to be a nice simple present, but it got a little out of hand. I had a blast and used a fortune in materials figuring it all out.





54 Likes

That is very beautiful, turned out great!

8 Likes

Agreed!

7 Likes

That’s lovely!

6 Likes

Beautiful gift!

6 Likes

Thank you all so much. I appreciate the kind words.

5 Likes

I really like the effect of the sandwiched acrylic. Nice work!

7 Likes

Looks great

6 Likes

Yes, that edge lit sandwiched acrylic is a very cool look. Love the bespoke packaging too!

5 Likes

Fabulous! I am sure it delighted the receiver!

4 Likes

That turned out awesome. What a great gift!

5 Likes

Beautiful. Nicely done

4 Likes

It turned out so beautiful! The layers of acrylic and veneer, the lighting, beautiful base, and the packaging!

3 Likes

This is gorgeous. If you decide to share the plans, I’m definitely interested in making it too. Well done!

2 Likes

It is gorgeous! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I can try to clean it up a little bit. (There’s a lot going on in it.) I’m in illustrator.

Just lovely!

I wish I had the talent to create something like this. Wonderful job!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

I’m sure you do. I can’t illustrate to save my life. I’ve been working in graphics for decades and every designer uses the tools at hand: stock images, existing designs that they modify or repurpose, etc. No one can do it all.

I used Adobe stock images for the dog and other parts (there are three or four stock images used to build the etch on the acrylic lid. I printed out more than a half dozen test tiles to find the correct etch settings). I bought box and tree plans from Etsy shops that I adjusted and modified to fit my design. What I really did was think, envision, plan, modify and repeatedly test everything out. I probably built most of the design three times over before getting even close to a finished piece.

And then, even at the end, I realized that I forgot to factor in the height of the box frame into the fit of the tree height. It was 3mm too tall, so I had to go back and adjust the tree design (bought from Etsy) so it was the correct height, without changing other parts of the design. (My refuse test pile was more substantial than the final work.)

3 Likes