Live edge coasters

After seeing these online somewhere, I had to try the live edge coasters. A coworker is retiring after 39 years, and plans to spend a bunch of time at his lake cabin, so these live edge coasters should fit in just fine.

61 Likes

Those will be perfect for a lake cabin. Great gift!

7 Likes

Yeah, I like that living edge on the square coasters…sweeet! :sunglasses: :+1:

6 Likes

Where did you source the square trees? :innocent:

19 Likes

40 Likes

Thirstystone Urban Farm Square Mango Wood Bark Coasters (Set of 4), Brown
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015UDKXRQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_MJM51SGNM022K7K053AY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

11 Likes

Excellent!

3 Likes

Nice variation of the logo too!

3 Likes

I have seen that done with watermelons. It seems they just took it to another level with a fast growing hardwood?
Really takes some serious focus to initiate a plan that will take 7 or 8 years to come together.

A bit of a game changer if someone took square trees seriously. A lot safer and less waste when making into lumber.

3 Likes

Pretty sure they’re not square trees.

If you zoom in on the coasters in the corners you can see where the bark has butt joints with the adjoining side. Looks like the wood is squared and then the bark glued on and then sliced.

Their Amazon listing says they’re “created to appear” like they come from square trees.

5 Likes

Well done. I love them

2 Likes

Yeah - but it made you look. That’s how good they are. I admit, for a second, square trees is the first place I went.

3 Likes

Planning ahead can be hazardous. I’ve seen photos of a “forest” where all the saplings were bent to shapes needed for shipbuilding and now is not needed for ships and too warped for anything else.

I would love to see the foresight of someone making square straight logs with snakewood, or camelnut, or lignum vitae planning on a harvest 500 years from now or more but suspect a similar problem of unforeseen circumstances, or even foreseen ones.

2 Likes

Beautiful! I think they are from square trees! The world would be a cooler place with square trees!

5 Likes

Those are awesome! Good find!

3 Likes

I’m going to use small diameter trees like that to build the deck railing (& possibly the interior stair railings) on the new house. It’s in the woods and I think the “live sapling” effect will be nice when used for the stiles in the railings. Twists & warps will add to the visual impact. Kind of like live edge wood has become the rage for desks & countertops.

4 Likes

There was a boat about 20’ in Coconut Grove that was more amazing than any yacht. That the builder spent a long time in Andros seeking out branches and trees that he tossed into a salt pond where most wood was filled with wood borers. He then left for two years and when he came back sought out that wood untouched by borers. From that wood the small sailboat was built without any iron that can easily be observed as the source of any rot.

4 Likes

I’m going to resist buying some of those coasters but boy, am I tempted.

1 Like

When I lived on Oahu, I remeber going to one of those mango farms and seeing the mango trees growing in square forms to get that shape very expensive process.

2 Likes

Remember the thread about the case that allowed you to grow square apples?

Found it:

2 Likes