Live edge engraving issues

I’m loosing my mind with this project. I am wanting to engrave a piece of live edge fir (It is under 2” thick so I removed the crumb tray) with a map. I have done dozens of test engravings and finally got the right setting. I figure out how to align the image to start in the right spot as the camera/alignment were off with each cut (due to the height is my guess). When I FINALLY started the big project the image was so blurry and illegible. If I know the image position and what the material height is….why won’t the GF engrave the image as a flat image?

Please help if you have run in to this and found a solution

1 Like

Did you use “set focus”?

3 Likes

Did you prop it back up so that the top surface is within 1/2” of the laser head? Material height is measured from the top of the crumb tray, not the bottom of the GF.

5 Likes

Will that help? That was going to be my next test to see if I manually set focus that it wouldn’t come through blurry

The piece is 1.9” so I just put it on the bottom surface

And what did you enter for the material thickness?

This may help you determine the correct focus height. It’s a great article with lots of helpful comments.

1 Like

Thank you Kelly. This is exactly what I need. I will let you know how it turns out.

1 Like

It worked GREAT!! thank you for your help

2 Likes

You are very welcome; glad it helped.

Is the font you are using a SVG or are you importing a picture?

Sometimes, the simplest solution is best.

1 Like

Don’t know why I haven’t printed this yet. Thanks

1 Like