Living Hinge 10” Bowl - Look ma no glue!

Happy Taco Tuesday Everyone!

I have been working with living hinges for a few days and wanted to see how far I can push the stretch it gives wood. I really like the spiral bowls but wanted to try something else. Here is the result. Made with Medium Basswood Ply. takes about 12 mins to run. When you are pressing down to get the connectors into the slots do not be afraid, just give even pressure and it will stretch…it may creak a bit but it shouldn’t break. Just be firm but gentle. I just used tabs with a cross-tie to secure it. If you can come up with a more elegant way I want to know. I think my brain is fried at this point. :slight_smile: Have fun and keep creating!!! (Sorry for the crappy pictures.)

LivingHingeBowl.svg.zip (3.6 KB)

152 Likes

Looks sweet. I love living hinge designs.

If I’m not mistaken this design let’s you collapse the bowl and flat pack it for transport, right? If you’re not interested in taking it apart would serrated tabs provide enough grab to hold the bottom down?

3 Likes

Love the cross tie idea to hold it in place! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks! It will allow for flat pack. I tried serrated tabs but the flex from the bowl is seriously high tension. They didn’t work. It needs to be more substantial.

3 Likes

Thanks. I will come up with something else, just need to think on it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. This will be put on my to make list

3 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m working on another leg style and will post it when I am finished.

1 Like

Wooh another amazing project! I really need to pick your brain for a project I am working on!

2 Likes

Lovely design nice

2 Likes

Wow, cool design (like all of your designs—I’m a fan!). Thanks for this!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this interesting design. I know it will inspire some beautiful projects.

2 Likes

Another fan here! Very neat … the living hinge is so phenomenal.

2 Likes

Just made one. Nice.
A drill press with a dowel was needed to push the bottom down enough to insert the connectors into the slots.

2 Likes

I can’t wait till someone has the cross ties snap off and launch the contents into the air…

3 Likes

Wow really? I guess I’m stronger than I thought. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lol. It doesn’t have that much tension. Although that would be hilarious! :joy::joy:

Thank you! I will be more than happy to help if I can…pick away!

Thanks! I am still playing around with different cuts to see functionality. I have read some cool concepts on line.

1 Like

High praise indeed!!! Thank you!

Thank you! I am always excited to see what others make.