Living Hinge 10” Bowl - Look ma no glue!

Thanks!

Very cool! Thanks for the design share - will have to give it a try!

2 Likes

Thanks! Love to see how it comes out for you.

1 Like

I noticed afterwards that I had installed the connectors with the light side up where yours had the dark side up. Might be a difference in dimensions.

That’s awesome! And per the first line in your description (even though it’s Wednesday now) I think I’ll have tacos for dinner lol

1 Like

They are square, so it doesn’t matter what side you have up. I like the dark side that is why I did it. They fit either way. I had no problem fitting them in, you can always move the tab hole cuts a little to the left so that you don’t have to work so hard. Thanks for the heads up!

awesome just started to make living hinges im obsessed love this !!

1 Like

Glad you like it. Cannot wait to see your projects with living hinges.

beautiful!!! How about a bottom grooved cap for the inside bottom? I don’t know if that’s possible.

1 Like

Well, since you suggested it maybe you could design it. I love the way one design leads to many creative offshoots.

1 Like

That could be possible, I will have to think on that!

I like this bowl! I actually started to work on building one, but I decided I wanted to change two things before building it.

1. I wanted to change the color of the various inside cuts to be different from the outside cuts, so that I can be sure they get cut first, for better accuracy. I’m still surprised Glowforge doesn’t sort shapes and cut them inside out like many other lasers, but as long as they aren’t doing it, I try to do it manually.

2. I wanted to add some decorative scoring on the outer rim of the bowl and on the legs.

But, I’ve run into a snag. I’m going to keep working to see if I can figure out what I’m doing wrong, but I figured I’d post and see if some kind soul figures it out before I do.

If I load your SVG file directly into the glowforge app, it’s clear that the outer diameter of the bowl top edge is 10" (probably exactly!). But if I use Inkscape to open your file, the bowl diameter is only 7.507". While I can probably get away with just scaling it back up, I’d like to understand what’s going wrong.

Anyone have thoughts?

1 Like

Yes, quite a few of them. :rofl:

@designvh619 is using Illustrator to create his files, which exports SVG files at 72dpi. The Glowforge interface knows to correct for that and interprets the correct size for the bowl at 10". But Inkscape imports SVG files at (90 or 96dpi, depending on the version) so the results of any SVG file imported from Illustrator directly into Inkscape is that the bowl is resized according to the dpi values for each program.

If you import the bowl at 72 dpi into Inkscape, it will come out the correct size. (Yes, every design program has different default values for SVG import and export.)

Those are my thoughts, FWIW. :smile:

5 Likes

Gee, 7.507/10 ~= 72/96, so I am sure you are exactly right. Thank you.

3 Likes

Yeah we tripped over that one early on. The Glowforge interface is set up to interpret SVG files from multiple sources correctly, but there is absolutely no uniformity out in the design program world. (Just makes the GFUI all the more impressive, in my opinion.)

Pain in the ass to try to share files between users though.

2 Likes

@ designvh619 how did you determine the shape of and draw the curves on the legs that are supporting the bowl?

1 Like

Sorry. I had to print out the piece and press down then measure the drop then I just created the arc to match. While still creating the flat section to take the bottom of the bowl.

1 Like

I will start just outputting a pdf with every svg file I make. That way you can download the pdf if you want to open the drawings in inkscape. I can adapt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re sharing it’s not a bad idea.

2 Likes

I will always share! Well, except for the piece I am working on now. :slight_smile: Already at 100 pieces to cut and weed and not even done yet. LOL

3 Likes