Living Hinge 10” Bowl - Look ma no glue!

@ designvh619 just measuring the part is a perfectly good way to do it. And it’s really helpful to know that’s how you did it.

1 Like

I am wondering if you get it very wet (and clean) and using a weight or similar to hold it stretched and let it dry if it might just hold its shape without the tension?

1 Like

@rbtdanforth I have placed a living hinge item into a double boiler, to expose it to steam. It certainly helped in the initial bending. And after securing it completely bent, I steamed it longer. And yes, it has stayed mostly in that shape afterwards. I suspect the same could happen here.

2 Likes

I hope it’s not inappropriate to show my interpretation of this design in the same thread. As I said above I really liked @designvh619’s design. But I tweaked a few things.

I added some decorative scoring on the top rim and both sides of the legs.

I changed the retention pins to have rounded edges and a notch to hold it in the center. (There are extra pins in the design, I often do that for tiny parts that are just being cut out of what would otherwise be waste material anyway.)

And I changed the color of the inside cuts versus the outside cuts to get the cutting sequence to make more sense.

If anyone would like to try to cut my design, feel free. You are going to want to tape your PG material in place in the Glowforge bed before you do the first pass so that you can flip the legs over into the same cavities to score the pattern on the other side of the legs. That’s the easiest way I know to make sure the parts end up in the same position.

Here’s the file:
Living%20Hinge%2010%20Bowl%20tawoods%20interpretation
(This time it’s a 96 dpi Inkscape file, so AI users will have to scale properly back to 72 dpi)

And here’s a photo:

And a special thanks to @ lcronkite also, the drill press idea made it so much easier to know I was pushing nice and square and with uniform force during the assembly.

12 Likes

Nice variation on the aesthetics! I like the circle patterns. BTW it would be inappropriate to offer this as your free design anywhere but in this thread. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think the case could be made that it would be fine as long as there was a link to this thread, but since you’re the OP I’ll defer to you.

1 Like

You are correct. That is what I was I clumsy was trying to say. After reading it again I can see that my intended humor was definitely in my own head. I never have a problem with people changing, updating or improving the things I do. I gladly share the designs and want others to share as well. It makes us all the better.

1 Like

Just got our glowforge today and this was out 3rd project tonight…turned out super awesome…thanks for sharing the file with all of us…good job!

3 Likes

Awesome! Welcome to the community!!!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome design, cutting one now. Thanks!

1 Like

Great! Thank you! I had forgotten I designed this! So glad people are finding it again!

3 Likes

LOL, I didn’t realize it was an old thread, it was showing as new a new post on my end.Turned out great, had a couple of cracks on the bottom side butI think that was the veneer of the plywood failing. Thanks again!

2 Likes

I am glad it worked out! I might need to look at the file and adjust the hinges.

2 Likes

Second day of lasering. Amazing design used the cherry wood plywood that came with the laser. Thank you!

4 Likes

So I took and doubled the hinges it stretches easier now. Is there an easy way to line up the nodes at the ends of each segment? I’m really new to all this and learning it everyday. This is my first time uploading so feel free to let me know if it doesn’t work.

The pic is before I evened out the hinge.

This is an awesome design you made !

Bowl with hinges

11 Likes

That looks awesome! I used guides to line mine up. I set 2 guides the distance i wanted the space to be and just used that to make sure they stayed in a line.

2 Likes

Awesome! As a newbie, perhaps I’ll try this after a few more basic cuts first although it’s certainly a fantastic, minimalistic, simple design so maybe I should just go for it! My kid loves apples!

1 Like

Thanks! It really is a fun bowl.

1 Like

Thank you very much for sharing.

1 Like