Living Hinge D&D Boxes

The living hinge will basically only be glued on the bottom. On the top, it is held down by a little piece on top that rotates (once the hardware is in place).

You can see some pictures of my original design here:

13 Likes

How about lasering a little piece of foam, so your figurine doesn’t bounce around. Friction fit to lock into place. Maybe in Ferrari red or Hermes orange. :wink:

5 Likes

Ooooh! Ahhhhh! :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

Very nice–a true high quality design!

4 Likes

Awesome design! I would like to make something like that to hold my Magic cards, much classier than a little cardboard box…

3 Likes

I had started a design for a MTG card box a few years back. It’s at:

3 Likes

These look really nice! Seems like proofgrade will more than likely win this household over. Will have to look for a design to work one up for my son-in-law.

3 Likes

Just a quick question for you (or anyone else who has done a living hinge design): what spacing/line length are you using? I know there are a lot of parameters you can change that has different effects on the behavior, etc., but I just want to start with a known setting that other people have successfully used.

1 Like

They’re phenomenal. Really, truly.

1 Like

Whoa…awesome!

1 Like

I just made one, and then modify it to fit whatever design I’m working on. The spacing on it was…hang on… 1.2678 mm, and I’ve sized that down and up as needed. Any smaller spacing than that and the ribs will start to break because you have to account for kerf removal. Net result is about 1 mm.

That’s for 1/8" thick material. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Here’s a couple of links that cover more info on living hinges.:

JKopel has posted a lot of stuff on living hinges (RHenley linked to another post of his above). He provided this great link:

3 Likes

I loved this idea! I made a foam insert for the box (cut with the GF).

I think it looks awesome. AND it makes the living hinge more solid!

I did not have Ferrari red though.

Thanks for the suggestion!

25 Likes

Man, that looks great!!! I’m so impressed (and jealous).

1 Like

Oooooo, awesome idea! I predict many foam liners for living hinge boxes will be made after this.

2 Likes

I’ve used the felt that you can get from Michaels with a sticky back. Just cut and then peel off the backing material and it sticks in place.

Here’s the sunglass case it went into. It does give a nice backing to the living hinge.

2 Likes

I just love these boxes so much! There you go, firmly maintaining your status in the “super duper cool dad” category.

1 Like

Just wait until you see what I’m working on now :wink:.

3 Likes

WHAT?!! I can’t wait!!!

This looks wonderful. Congratulations on such a great design.