Living hinge enclosure fail

That explains it very nicely. (And a lot easier than k factor.) :smile:

And it comes pretty close to working out - I was just tacking on a couple of mm to the πr length for a hemisphere, and since the thickness of the material was running about 3.3-3.5 mm, that was pretty close to half the thickness. Maybe a little extra, but it wound up not stretching much, which kept the wood intact.

Good to know why it was working though. Now I can easily modify it for thicker/thinner materials. :grinning::+1:

This one was tough!

I just wanted to add this to the discussion. K factor was originally for solid sheets so I really don’t know how much if any it applies to kerfed out living hinges.

1 Like

Yeah… It would be exciting trying to work out the k-factor of a sheet of wood with a bunch of holes cut in it. :stuck_out_tongue: I suspect it would change very dramatically based on the exact shape and spacing of your living hinge holes, if it even applies at all.

I’m not sure I would use this word to describe. “Interesting” and “rewarding” may be how I would view such work :slight_smile:

But to each their own, right?!

1 Like

Failure is just finding another way that doesn’t work.

Thanks for that.
It will be my first text engrave for the workshop when I get back to Corinth in March.

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I went ahead and used boxes.py to get me started and the modified in illustrator.

15 Likes

you’re definitely stretching those hinges further than they should be.

2 Likes

Finally got around to staining and installing the raspberry pi. It is running motioneye and the camera is hidden in one of the holes.

11 Likes

Clever! (And sneaky!) :wink:

2 Likes