Living Hinge Pencil Box Pattern

See the post directly above yours

1 Like

The pattern is in the first post. As @deirdrebeth said, the post above yours explains how to download it, if you’re having trouble. :slight_smile:

This is amazing! Thank you for sharing the plans!

1 Like

Finally got around to doing this. My husband wanted to make something for our roommate and I remembered this!
The only thing we missed in the instructions was:

which meant I spend some serious time sanding the part of the lid that goes into the false bottom so it wouldn’t stick :-/ - remember that step folks!!

12 Likes

That came out great! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My daughter liked this design and wanted to give it to her 3rd grade teacher at the end of the year. She found and aligned all of the engravings and helped put it all together. The engraves could have been darker, but they look better on the real thing than in the photo.

Only issue we had was that the kerf wasn’t quite right for the 1/8" White Oak we used. It was fairly easy to load the SVG into Fusion360 and adjust though since that is what I know. Thanks for the design.

12 Likes

This looks awesome. I’m sure the teacher will remember it forever.

1 Like

Hi, I found the ‘fingers’ (sorry not sure if that’s the technical term, still learning) really tight. I actually used a clamp to bring the pieces together (ended up with a slightly twisted case in the end). I’m determined to have another go and was wondering how you adjusted it in Fusion? Is there a name to the process so I can have a search?
Many thanks!

Welcome to our gang! :balloon:

I think that “kerf” perhaps with “Fusion” would do what you want, :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I do love a tight kerf, sorry about that. :wink: I use a small rubber-tipped hammer to tap my pieces together, sometimes with the help of clamps. Clamps will cause some twisting if used by themselves. You might have better luck in the future using the clamp to apply pressure while you use a hammer to tap the piece into place.

3 Likes

Not not at all, I absolutely love the design! Thank you very much for sharing it.
I was a bit scared to use the hammer, I’m not quite used to wood of this thickness.
I’ll break it out and have a go now.

3 Likes

I had a go and cut some test pieces with my adjusted kerf, in hindsight they were a bit too loose so I think geek2nurse got it pretty right the first time.

3 Likes

Hi Did I get the right dimensions of the file… 19.18 inches by 12.676 ? It doesn’t fit the bed :frowning: I guess I have to split in two files ? Or did you all just resize to fit ?

1 Like

You move some parts off the sheet to cut, then put in a second sheet for the remainder.

2 Likes

Ok thanks just wanted to be sure I have right sizes …

1 Like

There is a scaling cube right in the middle of the design. Click on it - if it says 1" x 1", it’s the right size.

2 Likes

Thanks… I forgot to do that :frowning: :frowning:
But now looks like my GF is not working so I will not be able to cut this out… or other projects with pencils I bought !!! :frowning:

made one - the gluing part is tricky but now that i have done one I know the tough parts - came out nice

13 Likes

Stunning!! This just moved to the top of my “Do Next” list!

2 Likes

Thank so much!

1 Like