Living Hinge Pencil Box

This design has been kicking around in my head for a couple of months. I finally got around to building it over the weekend. It took several iterations to get things working right, and I thought about scrapping it when I couldn’t get the sliding top to slide easily enough. But I’m kinda stubborn, and I finally figured out how to make it work. :slight_smile:

IMG_3115
IMG_3116

Here’s a one-handed video of it sliding (the camera didn’t rotate, sorry!):

And of course, Gkid needed one for the engraved pink pencils she requested:
IMG_3054

UPDATE: The pattern and instructions have been posted over in free patterns: Living Hinge Pencil Box Pattern

88 Likes

That is a cool pencil box. Great job.

3 Likes

As always beautiful and creative work!!!

6 Likes

Very cool! (And beautifully decorated as always)! :sunglasses::+1:

6 Likes

Wonderful!!

2 Likes

Looks awesome

2 Likes

Box in a box is a good solution :smiley:

They came out great.

5 Likes

Gorgeous–tambour / living hinge hybrid!

6 Likes

I had to go look up “tambour.” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Your grandkids are pretty darn lucky in my opinion. These are super cool! How well do you think the living hinge will hold up to the repeated movements? I don’t have a feel for that.

4 Likes

Beautifully done.

2 Likes

It doesn’t feel at all stressed when pushing and pulling it. Seems to me that motion has to be easier on it than the flexing it would get if used normally as an actual hinge, so I’m hoping it will last well. I guess we’ll find out!

6 Likes

zomg I love this! Thanks for sharing your design, too - that is very kind.

2 Likes

Just Wow!

2 Likes

Oh-MG! I tried my first living hinge box last week and it cracked when I tried to bend it.

Your work is impeccable — what wood did you use?

1 Like

That is beautiful AND useful! I love it and must make one very soon, cause who doesn’t need one of those!!!

2 Likes

These were made from 1/8" Baltic birch plywood.

3 Likes

The sliding top is wonderful! Awesome stuff. I like your choice of engraving too, it really adds some class.

5 Likes

Wow!! Came out really pretty!

3 Likes

Gorgeous work!

3 Likes