Living Hinge Test Chips

I’m almost positive this could be improved, but here’s a bare bones starting point for any interested parties. Eight samples, using the inkscape Render > living hinge on a 1x1.5" rectangle. Takes 6"x 6" for the whole test. I’ve never done anything with living hinges and I was never any good at physics so the scatter-shot approach worked great for me. File might be useful one completely unfamiliar materials to get you headed in the right direction. The image is just a screenshot, make sure you download the zipped file. :slight_smile:

living%20hinge%20test
living hinge test.zip (3.6 KB)

64 Likes

Thank you for sharing the zip.

2 Likes

Useful. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

If the look came as desired but the bend just won’t quite make it, you can always dampen the wood before bending it.

8 Likes

Hey, thanks! I’ve only ever used one type of living hinge—about time to branch out.

2 Likes

Nice share! Thank you.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you so much for sharing! I have been wanting to try some…now I will! :grinning:

Any idea why i can’t find the living hinge option under Render? Did it go away with an update?

I’ve never seen any living hinge extension in Inkscape on Mac…

1 Like

Thank you! I was just looking for a starting point. This helps a lot!!!

You can download it from inkscape’s website and to install it there’s .config directory on your home directory with an inkscape folder where you can put in extensions, templates, etc. Restart inkscape
after dropping the files there.

Download: https://inkscape.org/~drphonon/★living-hinge-creator

copy to here: /Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/.config/inkscape/extensions

1 Like

This will come in handy when using materials purchased locally that can vary in manufacturer and quality from purchase to purchase, month to month.

Thank you.