Local Cloud / Server-side software download

I’ve made horsecollar tranfers from helos twice in the waters off the Grand Banks (near where that scene was supposedly set). All I could think of was keeping my feet clear of the deck (pitching up & down in 15-foot seas) until the guy with the grounding strap hooked on to the pendant above me… :zap: :zap: :skull:

6 Likes

My curiosity has been piqued by this topic. How “quiet” are these automatic updates? Are we notified that they have happened? Is there a current version number we can check? Or will we suddenly notice things work differently and we can only assume it was due to an update?

How many updates have you pre-production users experienced since you got your machine? (@takitus, @marmak3261, @karaelena, @iliketomakestuff, @rebecca have I forgotten others on this forum?)

3 Likes

No way to know. It’s invisible.

2 Likes

I recall that you mentioned one time that you suddenly had new abilities for engraving photos. Was that the only time you noticed a change in features?

3 Likes

Yeah. Unless it changed visibly in the UI, there is no other signifier currently.

2 Likes

I should say… I absolutely love Apple hardware and software. Fast, clean, wonderful OSs. I’m not kidding. Love them. But it’s always the fact that you can’t really get underneath the skin of it that has kept me away. I have a Mac VM, myself. Runs great. I rarely use it though. But when I do, I really appreciate the OS. Reminds me of my Amiga in many ways. AmigaOS had the best of it all. Amazing OS, with a great shell to play in. How I wish it never died. Had it lived, it surely would have ruled them all.

1 Like

Is there a “Help - About” sort of feature in the GF UI that might show the version?

Onshape (another cloud-only product) has that and it’s pretty much the only way to tell that things have changed unless you notice something different in the UI or follow their forums. They’ve been doing significant upgrades every 3-4 weeks for the past year or more and more frequent in-line bug fixes. So far as I can tell from their forum traffic that’s not been a problem for any of the users. They seem to have done an extremely good job of organizing the way features will upgrade and interact with other features, though. I hope that GF planned from the beginning to achieve that level of organization and integration.

1 Like

No, but then again I have a pre-release unit, and might have things turned off in the UI and on my machine.

Hopefully the full release will have some way to find the software version number. If that isn’t planned, maybe @dan could add it to the hopper.

I can see where that could be useful for folks that like to document what they do with their GFs, especially on jobs that might repeat over months or even years. I do that now with most of the complex, multipart 3D print jobs that I do.

2 Likes

Maybe one larger change regarding how the materials displayed and are chosen if not Proofgrade. They added a bunch. Recently an addition of caution regarding using non Proofgrade to ensure safe operation. These were cosmetic mainly. As to how the hardware functioned? Other than one update to improve homing speed and a few other things I haven’t noticed a difference.

My focus has been pretty much on getting design done. Once they are ready they just work. Don’t really think about the print process other than a few tests for some new non-Proofgrade.

4 Likes

Roger! (cc @tony)

3 Likes

“Huh?”

Dan just added the software version number request from Mike to the hopper. (And he cc’d Tony on it.)

(Brevity is an art! ROFL!) :grin:

5 Likes

So the hopper has gone from this…

Then this…

And now this…

I’d love to know what the revision number is for the hopper. Inquiring minds would like to know.

19 Likes

Dan’s PC:

7 Likes

I just hope they allow us to do a survey or something for the hopper items after everything ships and life settles down…some of the items are going to be the teensiest bit more useful than others to the majority of the customers.

Few other suggestions I haven’t mentioned yet either, but they can (and should) wait until Glowie 2. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

And next this?

(those are the hoppers they fill the train cars from)

8 Likes

This Hopper is starting to feel overwhelmed.

17 Likes

Or maybe is too much?

6 Likes