Long hiatus has ended

It’s been more than 6 months since I cut anything on my Glowforge.
My wife was diagnosed with brain cancer on May 25th this year. Completely unexpected and out of the blue she went from working full time as a floor nurse in Orthopedics at the Mayo Clinic to having trouble remembering what she had for lunch. I believe that she could have passed her Nursing Boards again at any time but her short term memory really suffered.

We actually managed to enjoy a great amount of life even through radiation and chemotherapy.
Unfortunately, she passed away on November 19th. 31 years we were together and planned on so many more.

My wife had made it a tradition to get each of us (her, myself and our 3 kids) a Hallmark Christmas ornament every year. Cathy was an avid knitter. She has many works in progress which may or may not get finished now. So instead of Hallmark ornaments, this year my oldest daughter drew up a special one that I used the trace function for.
here’s the first go at it. Not sure if I’ll stick with wood or maybe do some proofgrade acrylic.

Google Photos

Google Photos

I hope to get back to creating more on my GF and try to keep myself busy and distracted…

46 Likes

Oh gosh, I am so, so sorry. I think your ornament is lovely and appropriate. And it looks wonderful in wood.

6 Likes

i’m sorry to hear about your wife. there are no words that can make things better. but your daughter’s ornament drawing is wonderful.

if you want to see some inspiration, i wonder what the ornament might look like (or maybe a future ornament might look like) if you made it more multimedia. your daughter’s drawing immediately made me think of this:

12 Likes

My deepest condolences on your loss.

What a wonderfully personal ornament. I’m sure it will bring a smile whenever you see it.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. I expect this lovely ornament will be treasured forever.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear of your wife’s passing. The ornament is a wonderful remembrance, thank you for sharing it and your story with us!

7 Likes

Here it is in acrylic and both hanging on the tree. I’ll let the kids choose which they like.
not like it’s hard to do custom orders. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

I’m so sorry. I’m sure it takes more courage to even post something like this after going through what you have. We hope to see more of your creations as you move forward.

8 Likes

Oh, I’m so sorry. :anguished:

7 Likes

The ornament is a lovely remembrance. I am sorry for your loss. I hope the Glowforge helps you stay busy.

7 Likes

{Hugs} I am so sorry for your loss. I am happy for your 31 years together!
The ornament is lovely

6 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss.

7 Likes

She lives in your children. Thank you for the courage to post this, It’s a clear wake-up call for all of us. We run around thinking of what is missing in our lives rather than being aware of what could be missing - and live our lives as if all of time was ours to dispose of.
I am shocked, and so sorry for your family.:rose:

What a touching ornament. :hearts:

13 Likes

Oh my…I cannot describe how sorry I am for your loss. Your story brought tears. I am very glad that you are once again back in the fold of friendship here and look forward to seeing many more posts from you. The trace ornament you made is exceptionally touching and good.

8 Likes

So sorry for your loss. I went through about the same situation (35 years of marriage) 33 years ago. You will always remember the good times, and more good times will come.

6 Likes

Wow, my wife and I just hit 4 years together last month, but I’m always thinking about the end of our lives together. It was a tip to us from one of our leaders at church before we got married to think about our 60th anniversary with our family in front of us and the memories we’ve made. It was a really special thing to think about, and I think about it often.

These ornaments you’ve made are incredible, and inspiring. Thank you for sharing something so personal, and I’m sorry for your loss. I lost my mom unexpectedly earlier this year, so I understand the tenderness of loss. Hopefully this next year brings you much love and happiness. :heart:

5 Likes

I am so sorry. Cancer sucks. My sincere condolences on the loss of your wife.

5 Likes

I am truly sorry for your loss. Everyone on the forum feels like a big family and your hurt is our hurt.

7 Likes

Sorry for your loss, hang in there & create.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing this simple memento and your story. Holding you and your family in my prayers.

6 Likes