Long job image distortion

I had this 1 hour long job engraving and cutting foam. I have not had any issues like this in the past, but this is my first long job. Any ideas what could have been the issue? The material did not move during the job. I’m wondering if it was a hiccup in wifi, possibly. You can see what the job should have looked like in the second picture.

Are those bar magnets? They can cause the head to skip if it passes too close to them, so try holding the foam down with something else…tape at the edges or the Honeycomb pins work well if the foam is not too thick.

11 Likes

They are. That would make sense. I have had great success with them holding it down along the edges. This is the first time it’s passed close to them. Thank you!

1 Like

I had never heard of the honeycomb pins until you mentioned it. I found the free pattern from @eljefe4 and printed a dozen. They work great on the 6mm EVA! Thank you so much for the fast help and perfect suggestion!

7 Likes

Welcome to the community Philip. :sunglasses:

You will find a lot of helpful people here… and the database that has been built here over the years is available with the search function. There’s a lot to pick through there. Enjoy your adventure.

4 Likes

You might also like the big vacuum tray discussion.

5 Likes

Welcome @StayAtFoamDad :glowforge:

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, you can actually disconnect your wifi after the job is running with no ill-effect. The job is entirely pre-processed on the Glowforge servers, then downloaded to the machine and ran/executed locally.

5 Likes

Good to know. Thank you!

1 Like

Link for @evansd2 's awesome vacuum tray for cutting light weight items. Vacuum tray replacement for cutting lightweight materials

Thanks for reminding me about this, I think it is high time I make one!

5 Likes

one thing you can do to mitigate the magnet issues is to essentially dissipate the magnetism on the top. if you put a metal plate over the magnets, it will pass very little magnetism through to bother the head.

personally i use old hard drive magnets with the plates still attached. they work really well and don’t affect the head at all.

you can generally find them on ebay and etsy, if you don’t have any old HDs to salvage yourself. not very expensive. make sure you get full 3.5" size hard drive magnets. the ones that come in smaller laptop format drives are not nearly as strong.

4 Likes