Looking for help making woodblock stamps

Hi All - I am a newbie to all of this and I feel like I am clueless. and was hoping someone might be able to help me. I have done some fooling around and made some cool stuff but what I really want to do is to make woodblock stamps. I have been stamping fabric for a few years now and want to create my own stamps. I have been trying to figure out how to take an image and then put a cut line around it and use it to make a stamp. I have figured out that I need to use a vector image to do 3D and I have done a test on draftboard and it turned out OK but I could not figure out how to make the cut line. A friend sent me a link from this forum on how to do a cutline in Inkscape but I cannot seem to figure out how to set the ‘fill’ to (none). I don’t suppose anyone has ever documented the process on how to make a stamp in wood and would be willing to share? If I could follow a process I think it might help me to understand inkscape and how to use it better and to create cool stamps.
This picture is the type of stamp I want to try to create.

4 Likes

The Indian and Japanese traditions of wood block fabric stamping have come up many times in the last three years. Lots of it wishful thinking and boy wouldn’t it be neat. There have been some documented attempts at stamping with many different materials, including rubber, linoleum, wood, and special stamp materials.

@cynd11 has had several nice posts of her success with small stamps and laser polymer.

What you need to do is search for wood block print and stamps. These will get you started on where we have been before, including some examples.

Here is one of the many topics that touches the craft/art.

I have a 10x8 Kelsey letter press in my garage that wants rollers, trucks and j-hooks. It’s in beautiful shape, pining for attention.

3 Likes

Yes, I made one…

And there is a lot of information on best ways to engrave them in the Beyond the Manual section. (Most of it will apply to woodblock stamps as well as the rubber.)

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Stamp

This one is very helpful:

4 Likes

Another block print…

1 Like

Thank you SO much! I think these are helping me on my way. I’m cutting out what I think I want right now!

1 Like

Thanks, @jules, for the help - these are great!

I’m going to close this thread. Please start a new topic or reach out to support@glowforge.com with any other questions.