Loose lens removal tool

I cleaned the lenses today for the first time after a PG draftboard job failed to cut through. Things were going well until I got to the Replace Lens step. Per the instructions, after flipping the tool to Install, I expected the lens “will sit firmly on the tool and will not wiggle”, but that was not my experience. The lens did not sit firmly at all, and would have instantly fallen off if I used the tool as described. I wound up lowering the head onto the lens instead of the other way around, which worked but felt very risky. Has anyone else had this problem?

1 Like

That’s how it is. It’s not that firm.

The only thing you need to be careful of is to put it in “bowl up”, like in the picture, and don’t touch the glass (you just cleaned it, after all). Other than that, gently push it up in there until the magnets engage and you’re fine. You don’t need or want to push any further.

I try to keep the whole thing over something soft just in case it goes flying. I think @geek2nurse broke hers when it escaped and fell to the floor.

6 Likes

Hi mobry, I’m going to shift it to problems and support so the correct team can guide you on this one!

Thanks!

Whoops, I thought I had posted it there. Thanks for correcting it.

I did have it bowl up, but it did not seat firmly on the tool. I’m assuming the plastic ring on the Install end of tool was suppose to engage with the lens housing, but it would not do so. It seemed too small.

They won’t get notified. Only new threads generate the alert. A thread copied to P&S is a crapshoot as to when/if ever they’ll see it.

4 Likes

Shifting doesn’t let Support know the post exists. That happens on creation only. They may or may not ever see this thread.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve gone to just carefully dropping mine in while the head is still upside-down, so that doesn’t happen again!

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer @evansd2, that’s right. I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!