Lost snapmarks after getting machine repaired

Lost snapmarks after paying $600 for machine repair and losing 2 months of up time.
I see now that snapmarks will be part of the premium subscription only.

What is the company policy if an individual glowforge pre breakdown has snapmarks, then after getting the machine serviced, snapmarks are lost?
I’m on my 3rd unit. The previous 2 has snapmarks working. My latest glowforge does not have it enabled.

If someone has snapmarks working, will they get turned off when the premium subscription comes online?

I am an original pro backer. I paid $200 and $400 for shipping and repairs on my unit that would not turn on any longer. When the glowforge was repaired and sent back to me after 6 weeks it had the same problem. Someone finally called me to discuss my experience. They said another unit would be shipped to me. Silly me thought in 3 or 4 days. It took over 2 weeks with no communication.

So the unit finally arrives and I am lacking snapmarks.
I have also paid for the premium service.
Will I get snapmarks because I previously had them or only because I am paying for premium?
In either case, when will snapmarks be turned on for me?

hj

1 Like

I’m interested in what the answers to some of your questions will be. It is my understanding that if you had snapmarks and want to continue to use them you will have to pay for the premium subscription. It sounds like they are planning to go back and work on snapmarks again sometime in the future. How far in the future is the question - weeks? months? years?.. Snapmarks were rolled out to machines that were capable of running them then they stopped rolling them out when they stopped supporting it. Your replacement unit never was loaded with snapmarks and probably won’t be until they start working on it again which may or may not be a long time from now.

Just reporting the facts as I understand them. Not providing judgement for, or against the plan. According to all prior posts from the company Snapmarks was never a production feature. It was rolled out as a trial to specific machines. At some point they decided not to continue the roll out further. Not my place to speculate whether it was too difficult, too much of a drain on resources, and/or a financial decision. Everyone that currently has Snapmarks, including me, will lose them unless they join the Premium tier. Not sure when the switch will happen, but soon.

3 Likes

understood. I’m not arguing the niceness of the policy.
I have a project right now with a deadline.
The fine print didn’t say after your repair you won’t have snapmarks. I could have prepared my files for this situation.
I paid for premium.
I want to use it.
Do you understand my issue I just posted?

hj

hj

1 Like

Yeah, understand. It is my understanding that work still needs to be done in S/W before all machines can support Snapmarks. Don’t think the initial release of premium features will include them, at least not for all premium users. But I am reading between the lines from stuff I’ve seen. As always, caution should be used in assuming something from the company’s language. It tends to be very narrow in interpretation in what is actually being said.

So bottom line you need Snapmarks now. Only Support can turn them on and not sure whether they will right away, even if you paid for Premium.

1 Like

I think monthly subscriptions separates the hobbyists from people trying to male a business.
Right now my tech shop is 50 a month. All tools and software available for $5 an hour.
For people trying to run a business they should stay away. Ive been down for 2 months through no fault of my own.

Its better to pay 10k and get a real 60 watt laser that just works.

hj

1 Like

It would be an astute observation if it were true, but it’s not. I’ve bought and ran quite a few lasers - one of which (a big brand name laser) sat there for months not being able to put out good enough product, despite multiple on-site tech visits. I finally got them to take it back on trade for what I paid for it.

Maybe that’s an edge case - but it’s a case nonetheless.

5 Likes

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.