Lulzbot TAZ 5- Daily Deal on Amazon: 09/01

Hey guys!! I know 3D printers have come up in conversation here before, so I thought I would share this deal on amazon that’s only for today:

https://www.amazon.com/LulzBot-TAZ-Desktop-Printer-Nozzle/dp/B01143UJK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472753540&sr=8-1&keywords=lulzbot+taz+5

Pulled the trigger and bought one a little bit ago, I’m so excited!! I wouldn’t have bought if not for the fact that the TAZ 5 was tied for first place on my list of printers I would buy if given the chance. It’s seriously an awesome machine, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything bad about their customer service (a major plus).

Figured it was a deal worth sharing if anyone’s on the fence about buying a printer!

12 Likes

It was also on my top two list. :slight_smile:

(Ultimately went with the other one, but I’m sure it’s a very good printer for those willing to put the time in to understand how they work.)

Enjoy it!

2 Likes

What did you end up with @Jules?

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, it was either this one or a makergear 2 for me. I’m excited for the customization options for the taz…being able to learn more about the technical/hardware side of printing is something I’m looking forward to (although hopefully not by experiencing lots of errors)!

I got a lulzbot mini a year or so ago and I absolutely love it. My only regret was not getting the taz instead for the larger bed and the dual head capabilities. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

3 Likes

That’s great to hear! Yeah, the heated bed was a huge factor for me…I’m hoping I won’t have to build an enclosure for it, though I could see maybe needing one for longer more intricate prints.

I haven’t built an enclosure yet, once I get my office all set up I’ll see how the airflow is. I’ve had the occasional layer slip or delamination but I blame user error not the printer. What are you going to make with yours?

It was the MakerGear M2. (They have since made it even easier to use, so if you want to spend a few bucks more, you can literally be up and printing your first print in about an hour or two, including the time to unbox, take the tape off of the spool of filament, and read the instructions.)

Oh yeah, there are a few (thousand) of those…chuckle! :wink:

1 Like

Would one of you nice, knowledgable people give me a quick rundown of what this printer offers above the other printers available?

Sweet. Time to go sell a kidney to afford one.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking of getting Zortrax for the longest time! (Waiting for them to have a sale again)

Which one? The Taz? Best way is to go and read the write-ups on Amazon and compare.

All the FDM printers pretty much work the same way, some just have things that can go wrong more readily than others.

The other thing you want to look at is build volume - how big an item do you want to print, understanding that something full sized that fills the plate up to about 8 inches by 10 inches by 8 inches will take a full week (at least) to print? Anything larger will take longer. The limiting factor on 3D printing is the characteristics of the filament, not the size of the printer or the speed it prints. They all print about the same speeds.

1 Like

Yeah, I was asking about the Taz 5. Many FDM printers basically look the same to me.

I think your note about all of them printing at about the same speed will be helpful.

So, the Taz 5 is a desireable printer because it is known to be reliable?

Or, could it be that it has a very good price to build size ratio?

I’m not sure, because I don’t have one. Of the two that I had it narrowed down to, the MakerGear M2 had a much higher satisfaction rating, so that was the one that I got. (They were roughly the same price then.)

You’d need to read the recent reviews to see how they compare now.

1 Like

These are indeed great printers, aside from one major design flaw: the bed is supported on four points instead of three.

I know what you’re thinking — “Surely more support is better, wouldn’t you want all four corners supported?”

As it turn out, not necessarily. One of the most critical setup/calibration steps for all additive 3D printers is leveling the bed. Leveling a flat plane on four points is really, really hard. Three point support is far easier.

Sure, the TAZ has an auto-level feature that models the current surface and maps that to the head motion, but eventually you will have to do a “true” leveling. Done correctly, this requires numerous rounds of leveling points 1, 2, & 3; then 2, 3, & 4; et cetera, ad nauseum…

The best example of this principle may be found in just about any restaurant. Pedestal tables with four feet are never level (as evidenced by the shims, matchbooks, folded napkins, etc. that are jammed under at least one of them). On the other hand three-footed tables are inherently stable, just like tripods.

So back to the TAZ… The reason I bring all this up is that Aleph Objects (makers of the LuzBot/TAZ line) is just a few miles up the road and they donated a number of used printers to a local makerspace (they use their own printers to manufacture their printers :sunglasses: ). Following the Tom Sawyer model, they taught a printer maintenance “class,” in which the “students” cleaned, lubricated, and re-calibrated the printers. The “chasing triangles” step was universally and loudly reviled.

I’m not saying the TAZ is a bad choice, but it’s better to make an informed decision when investing in a printer. YMMV.

Cheers!

4 Likes

That used to be true, and the first MakerGear M2 that i bought was built on a 3 point spider. The latest versions of the MakerGear M2s (the Rev E machines) have been built on a four-point system, and they are easier to level, because the folks at MakerGear have created an interactive Application that helps you to set the level. (Takes about 5 minutes to do.)

In addition, the M2s (both the 3 point and the 4 point) keep their level better than any other machine.

With other machines, you might have to reset the level every third or fourth print. The M2’s generally only have to be leveled once every six months or so, less than that if you don’t use the machine every day.

So yeah, how well the machine keeps it’s level is another good selling point that I forgot to mention.

Looks like a great deal but I love the self-leveling on the mini think I’ll hold out for a good deal on the 6.

That’s a very good point. I ended up with an Ultimaker 2 (3-point spider). Leveling is quick & easy via the onboard interface (also about 5 minutes). Once I have it dialed in, I don’t need to re-level until I move the printer or until I remove the glass to wash off the glue-stick residue.

I print prosthetic hands and arms as an e-NABLE volunteer, and typically run off as many as 12-15 hands in a run without re-leveling.

5 Likes

Bummer. That’s what I get for falling behind on the forums. I have been thinking about the TAZ and might have pulled the trigger at that price if I hadn’t missed it.

2 Likes

I’ve got one and it does a pretty good job to amazing job depending on the sort of print. They just had a special with free shipping, which can add a lot to the price for those of us in the US, but that ended 8/31.

Here’s a couple prints I’ve done, both of someone else’s design:

The arm is about 30" tall and is not powered, though the joints all move. The model transmission actually shift in both forward and reverse and there is a model engine that goes with it that is powered by a small gear mootor hidden in the alternator.

18 Likes