Lumosforge is here!

Please take pictures of the unboxing! Thanks!

I love how everyone is posting images with small humans next to their glowforge to make it look bigger than @dan’s unit.

10 Likes

@chevalier_jeanpaul, you might send that in a quick email to support@glowforge.com too. They try to keep up with the forums, but I’m sure they’re pretty swamped right now too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I started to tape the junction of the GF exhaust and the vent duct and I noticed little dots that looked like pin holes in the duct where the foil of the tube bunches to allow flex. I removed the tube and looked inside, sure enough little pin holes of light near both ends where the most flexing has occurred during installation. I cupped my eye against the end of the tube, held it to the light and I can see micro holes the entire length like a starry sky.

I guess I will need to go buy some semi rigid 4" duct pipe.

Edit: I have since purchased a new semi-rigid duct pipe. With the old one removed, I filled with water and the holes do not leak. The layers of polyester are doing their job and keeping the tube air tight.

7 Likes

Will do…thanks.

1 Like

That seems about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Surely it isn’t supposed to be like that, is it?

2 Likes

It is likely not an issue for something like a dryer. The included duct feels very much like it is a metal foil of some kind. The kink points of the bunches where it accordions is where the holes have formed. They are very small, I almost missed them. The duct on my dryer is more of a Mylar type material and might be a better option for the included duct.

I will likely just pickup one like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Deflecto-Connecting-Flexible-Semi-Rigid-HUPK8WA/dp/B000IJTBFS/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1497539653&sr=8-12&keywords=dryer+vent

It is a much heavier gauge aluminum yet still will allow me the freedom to move from place to place as needed.

Kind of a good sign that the $5 non-Glowforge duct is what has given me the most issues so far.

3 Likes

I thought Glowforge provided the duct?

Sorry, supplied by Glowforge, made by GE.

2 Likes

Have you reported it to support? It looks like it isn’t suitable for a laser cutter.

1 Like

It says on the box, 4 ply aluminum foil/polyester construction. It is possible the holes are only in the foil and there is still a plastic barrier. They are so small, it would be really hard for me to test.

2 Likes

I did include that along with the few other things I mentioned above in an email I sent them earlier today.

1 Like

I don’t think they are suitable for anything.

Flexible ducts are horribly fragile, and inefficient IMHO. I don’t even use one on my dryer. Just moving them around too much starts breaking the foil down. It’s far too thin. Can’t expect GF to include hard ducting though. This gets a person going, and honestly, since the GF doesn’t throw out all the junk a dryer does, if it’s not moved a lot, it will work fine for most.

5 Likes

This is the stuff in case someone hasn’t seen it before. Seal around everything and if you’re going into a fitting that has a seam, do that as well.

2 Likes

A dryer just throws out hot air, water vapour and lint. A laser cutter emits poisonous gases without a filter. And it smells bad.

3 Likes

Saw the same clear dots. Can’t check now but think they are not holes all the way through.

5 Likes

I wonder why they have foil in that case. Is it for fire safety?

3 Likes

Great to see the kids having fun, I hope they’ll remember and appreciate the excitement the rest of their lives! My son had just turned 6 when I ordered, and I was very aware that I was about the same age when my parents spent money they probably didn’t have on an Apple II. I wouldn’t have spent this much on a “toy” for just myself. With any luck we’ll have ours by his 8th birthday, and I can’t wait to see what he, and kids around the world, do with these!

4 Likes

Once I have a replacement, I will fill this one with water and see what I find.

6 Likes

That’s awesome. It will change his outlook and approach to things versus his peers. Having tools like this changes what you think is possible. That’s a huge gift to give to a kid.

3 Likes