Lumosforge is here!

Yes! I too can’t wait to see what kids can do with such a tool. My kids have had a great time making things for friends and school projects with the 3D printers, but the laser is a whole new beast.

Here is a picture of my youngest (8 at the time) helping me build an airplane. Never underestimate kids!

32 Likes

the holes are enough to make me check mine, but i always only planned on using the accordion duct temporarily. in fairness, it’s extremely unlikely that this would have much of an effect on real-world use. a nonzero effect, probably, one worth worrying too much about, probably not.

as long as there are no obstructions to cause pressure to build up inside of the duct (i.e., it’s sticking outside with no impediment), there’s likely to be very little leakage. the worst that might happen is the occasional smell.

having said all of that, i could believe that a good gust of wind could push back - i have a 30-inch industrial fan i put up against the windows in my loft when it gets super unbearable, and when the wind is strong you can hear the thing slow down (of course, it’s much larger in diameter, so the accuracy of using this as a model for predicting glowforge vent behaviour is, perhaps, not so great.

3 Likes

Congratulations! And good on you for raising girls who know how to use tools. :sunglasses:

Youngest got the first button press? I know a good Dad when I see him.

8 Likes

Thank you! The factory has fixed this, but it may take 2-6 weeks for shipments to be correct.

10 Likes

Always appreciated!

6 Likes

My father came over with some raster images. One on Proofgrade maple and one river stone. Super pleased with the results on stone.

57 Likes

Not one for giving out complements, but that one came out really nice. Like it.

15 Likes

OMG… @chevalier_jeanpaul you better print that out and frame it^^^ compliments from @rpegg are super rare…lmao. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Better yet etch it in stone. :wink:

22 Likes

Almost as rare as a spelling error from him. And you have both in one place.

16 Likes

OK the stone is awesome… Have to try that at some point. What kind of settings did you use?

7 Likes

HA…almost embarrassed to say…just the 1/8" Cherry Proofgrade on the dark engrave setting.

10 Likes

Trying to figure out how the stone darkened when most stones bleach with the laser.

7 Likes

I have found that most of my jobs, I pick a proof grade setting and it’s almost always right’ish for almost anything. The guacamole was dark engrave maple ply…

16 Likes

I agree. These were pulled from our landscaping along with a few others of varying types. I am excited to see how others turn out.

6 Likes

Okay, I will just own it and proudly say “Proofgrade settings” when I use them!

8 Likes

Come on now, really?!?! First try with photo engraving, we are all in shock!

47 Likes

Whoa! What settings did you use for that?

2 Likes

I dropped in a sheet of Proofgrade Maple and set to medium engrave. I did some work to the photo prior to uploading to the cloud. Here is what the image for engraving looked like.

31 Likes

I like when you include the image that you engraved. It shows what kind of photo gives those results. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

Ok. Wow you seriously did your homework on getting projects ready for when it arrived! You are making me wonder if I am prepared. :smiley::wink::glowforge:

6 Likes