Lunar Lander Pop Up Card

Can you share the file?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may not want to share design files, and it can be uncomfortable for some to have to say no publicly. So, our community standards (and forum rules) are to not ask for files, but leave it up to the designer to offer.

If you’re looking for a huge selection of freely shared files, check out the Free Laser Designs section in the forum. Hundreds of great files in there for personal use. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi 3jbc22,

Welcome to the forum!

It’s wonderful that you are inspired and, would like to make one but, I am not going to share the pattern at this time.

First, I am not sure it is done. It is very difficult to fold and, some additional design tweaks may help with that.

Second, I have not ruled out that I might sell finished cards of this design, include the pattern in a compendium or, something along that line.

@shop beat me to the punch with the standard Regulars’ post about the forum rules.

If you are interested in pop up cards, in general, I do occasionally share patterns here and, on my Evermore Studio site. For example:

https://evermorestud.io/make-a-flower-pop-up-card/

A number of other artists give away patterns for this style of pop up card, too. I have a pretty extensive list of their sites here:

http://www.origamicarchitecture.org/exit.php3

There is some other discussion in the forums here, too. You could find that by searching on things like “popup,” “pop up,” “kirigami,” and “origamic architecture.”

9 Likes

Great resources. Thanks for adding the links.

1 Like

Operation Phantom Support

I want to make this into a popup, middle of card stock where like 6 deep, idea where I should start

2 Likes

PM @evermorian - he’s a pop-up card wizard!

2 Likes

It’s funny: I have been thinking about doing a tutorial series.

It is difficult to gauge your background and, there is potentially a lot to learn. As with many things, I think your best bet is to dive in and try something! It’s only paper.

I mainly work in a style called origamic architecture. Though there is some fuzziness to what is included in that style, the prototypical examples are like my lunar lander in this thread: one piece of paper cut and folded but, not glued.

There is a badly-outdated origamic architecture community site with lots of links to resources (including tutorials and books) here:

http://origamicarchitecture.org/

There are other ways to do pop ups by building elements from multiple pieces of paper and gluing them together. I have limited experience with that but, it can make things easier for some designs.

Most people start by making cards from other people’s patterns to get a general feel for how things work.

There is software available that may help you get in the general vicinity of what you want and, you might be able to make changes from there. That is: make something close to what you want from block shapes. Then, refine the generated pattern from that to get what you want. Playing with the software may also help you start to think in the constrained 3D space of pop ups.

Pop-Up Card Designer Pro ( http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/craft/popupcard-pro_en/ ) is from the same person who makes some well-known pepakura software ( https://tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/ ).

There was another more recent package ( http://www.popupcardstudio.com/ ) but, it looks like they may have gone under as their website is no longer working.

I mostly just work in regular vector software (Inkscape and Corel Draw, mainly).

How challenging this is also depends on how complicated you want to get. One of the keys is figuring out what details are critical to representing a given design and, which you can omit. I can see an easy version of this with three vertical planes and, a slightly more challenging version with four. Beyond that … there are some things to figure out. Generally, though, I feel like less is more. Let the silhouette do the work and, concentrate on adapting the details (like in the shield) to make it sparkle.

If I were making your design into a 90-degree open pop up, I would start by identifying which parts I want on different vertical planes. I would make a central fold line (this would typically be where a card folds in half). I would separate the planes out, offsetting them (down) from the central fold line. Each piece needs to connect to the back of the card (above the central fold) by a horizontal piece the same length as its distance below the central fold (think stairs) or, be attached to some other plane by the difference between the position of its (hypothetical) base and the base of the piece to which it is attached.

I could also see a simple twisted crest ( Spring Belles Pop Up Card , We All Have Our Demons , 180º Open Twisted Crest Origamic Architecture/Kirigami Flower Pop UP Card ) version of this that could be quite striking.

I am not sure if that helps. I’ll try to answer any questions you have.

5 Likes

Oh squeeee! That list of designers you linked has a link to Willem…I modified one of his files for digital cutter over 15 years ago. (He had some great origamic architecture patterns.)

Sacre Cour Origamic Architechture

If it didn’t take hours to fold I’d have done more of that. The cutting was the easy part. :grinning:

6 Likes

Quick follow-up:

I have confirmation that Popup Card Studio has gone under and, is no longer available.

It looks like there are some third parties that claim to be selling it but, they will not be able to deliver valid license codes.

1 Like

thank you

Damn, that is amazing…

2 Likes

The guy’s work was phenomenal. That’s the Sacre Cour cathedral in Paris. He had a few others as well. (I’m not sure if the file I converted was supposed to be out floating around on the internet, so I’ve never tried to adapt it for sale. It’s just for looking at.) :smile:

1 Like

Willem Boning made the design available on his original website long ago:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100428074032/http://members.shaw.ca/woa/modsacrecoeur.htm

It is explicitly licensed for personal use only:

His site was taken down in early 2017 when the hosting provider discontinued service. I am unaware of any new site.

A lot of origamic architecture artists who would otherwise share patterns for personal use online have been put off by people selling cards made from their designs without permission, people sharing the patterns or finished cards without credit, representing the work as their own or, making minor changes and claiming it is original work. Pinterest is full of unattributed scans of patterns from pattern books, which are already a hard sell to publishers.

While that probably feels familiar to people here, it’s a particular sore point for the OA community.

3 Likes

Never knew his last name…the file I found was obviously one of those that had been appropriated and floated around the internet at the time. (This was back in 2006 or 2007.)

The digital cutter scrapbooking industry was just getting fired up at the time…we went through the same copyright related issues that new laser users are having to work out now. (Ten years and we never figured it out.) :smile:

Now I feel good though for never trying to sell it.

2 Likes

Wow - did I ever go down the rabbit hole!!! Thanks, @evermorian! Many years ago I dabbled with making my own popup cards by hand, and now the thought of just scoring and cutting on the laser is tantalizing. I looked through all your various site listings, and picked a couple to try.

This one is from Popupology, and a free download. The score lines were big dashes, so I did end up altering the file so every score is a single line all the way across. The file was already color coded to red and blue for mountain and valley scores, so that was easy to keep.

The one thing I hadn’t counted on, is that it is still a lot of careful folding - and my hands are just not cut our for that, even though layering the cuts and scores made this a ton easier and precise. Still, it was fun to walk down that particular memory lane. Meanwhile I think I’ll stick to ecards. :rofl:

6 Likes

You did good. :blush:

2 Likes

Yay! I’m glad you had a go at one. There are some tricks to make folding easier, like scoring mountain folds on the front and valley folds on the back but, it’s often still a digital dexterity marathon (in the sense of the digits on your hands, of course).

1 Like

Good thought about doing the valley folds on the back, didn’t think of that.

1 Like

thank you so much for all the information, trying to sepeation design it all in one thinking I need 6 parts to work for 90 degree pop up

1 Like

amazing

1 Like