Machine isn't cutting through materials

My Glowforge isn’t cutting through proof grade materials & it’s quite frustrating. I’ve contacted support and I’m not getting the response or maybe I’m just impatient. But I need help ASAP

You’ve opened another support ticket by posting here, which slows down their support process, as noted in the pinned post at the top. They’ll be along soon, though.

Meanwhile, when was the last time you cleaned all six lenses and windows? That’s the first thing to do when the machine stops cutting through. If that doesn’t fix it, next step is clean the mirror, and if THAT doesn’t fix it, then clean your air assist fan.

If you do all that and it’s still not working, cut the Gift of Good Measure on PG material using the default PG settings and post front and back photos for Support to analyze.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you, and there was nothing pinned at the top about slow the support process. at least i didn’t see it. My Glowforge is only a week old but i followed those steps. i cut the gift of good measure on PG material twice on PG settings. I sent photos and did all the necessary steps and haven’t gotten a solution yet.

1 Like

When you initially set up your Glowforge last week did it cut through the proofgrade materials or has it never cut properly?

Yes everything was working fine until yesterday.

1 Like

Then I suggest you clean your optics. Cutting even a couple of items causes smoke to deposit on the lens and windows. Make sure you clean everything and insure that your material is held flat against the honeycomb tray.

2 Likes

thank you

1 Like

Either posting here or emailing support@glowforge.com are good, but doing both is bad! It creates two tickets in our system, and because we can’t address it until we’ve linked them together, it makes your ticket take longer.

It’s okay, a lot of people miss that, or think that by repeatedly opening support tickets they’ll get attention sooner. It just doesn’t work that way. :blush:

Meanwhile, definitely try the suggestions above; worst case nothing will change, but it could get you up and running without having to wait any longer.

1 Like

generally you’ll find that some things “cut cleaner” than others. now that “cut” includes engraving.

everything you toss in there has different effects when it is lasered. MDF super messy. and something like a ceramic tile. no noticeable mess.

and FLAT is KEY.

i press down on my material and if there is any give. I try to either clamp that away. or switch pieces and keep the bowed piece under some weight to flatten it out.

2 Likes

I see you emailed us and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this thread.