Machinist Toolbox - my recent completed project

Well, I’m finally getting around to posting my picks of one of my more ambitious projects. I had a smaller machinists toolbox, and since I’ve been accumulating more tools I decided I’d make a larger one out of oak.
I decided I would make the inner casings and drawer bodies out of 1/8” and 1/4” Baltic Birch. Since the tool box was to be 25” Width by 20” Height by 13” Depth, I had a challenge - Max cut sizes on the Glowforge are ~19” x 11.5”, so I built 3 cases and then joined them later.

I added a stop to the drawers so you can’t pull the drawer completely out by accident.

I used Cuttle (great tool!) with a cuttle users divider generator to create dividers for the Drawers, and also cut out a few organizers out of EVA foam.

I then had help from another friend and glow-forger that gifted some 3/4” thick Oak (with wood prices, thank you thank you thank you!) and he did the table saw cuts for me on the outer case of the toolbox. The drawer fronts were made of 1/4” Quarter sawn oak that I bought from Ocooch Hardwoods

Overall, I’m really pleased with how it came out!

86 Likes

You are a true craftsman – and used your Glowforge “to the Max”! Well Done!

3 Likes

wow. great result.

2 Likes

What an attractive practical cut. You will be well served by this bit of craftsmanship.

2 Likes

That is beautiful! Love a good cabinet build! I wish I could figure out a way to do dovetails on the GF.

2 Likes

Your tool box is absolutely amazing. This is something that you will be proud of.

1 Like

And so you should be pleased with how it came out! That is gorgeous! I love the foam dividers - you know instantly where everything should go! And the drawer stops are great. I am so impressed!!

1 Like

Holy cow, this is great!

1 Like

That looks great!!

1 Like

really beautiful! Nicely done.

1 Like

Absolutely fantastic. Well done. Must have taken quite some time to build. :+1:

Not so hard actually. It is only one side that needs a bit of shaving. The problem I see is that the increased strength is only on one side, Increasing the number of fingers. or putting them through holes accomplishes the same goals.

You can also do pins perpendicular to the joint, but that is hard if the wood is less than 10mm.

3 Likes

This is amazing, does it have a secret drawer somewhere inside?!

1 Like

Terrific! Nice to be organized! Great use of the GF!

Gosh, I’m drooling here. It’s a wonderful box!

Yeah, I want actual dovetails right from the GF. I really wish there was a way to cut angles. I have tried propping the wood up and cutting straight across it, but that only works for small cuts. Not bad if I was making a small box and wanted clean joins. CNC is the way to go for that I suppose.

2 Likes

Not being able to cut at an angle was one of my first great disappointments. I considered a rant about the lack of agility to rotate the laser making it no better than a doorstop but thought better of it. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

HAHA…we do what we can with what we’ve got!

1 Like

Just as bad was the inability to make saddle curves with a living hinge!
BTW Happy cake day!

1 Like

Now that would be cool!!! And thank you!