Magic: the Gathering Life Tracker

Keeping the pointer as a key is soooo coooool!!! I love it.

4 Likes

@beaudoin_n Here it is with the numbers vectored. SMH Magic%20Counter%20to%2060

Finally made my first one (PG cherry and maple ply). I don’t play MTG (yet), but our housemates are gearing up* to start playing with their adult sons. I redid the counter markers and somehow managed to screw things up a little right next to the zero, but that’s now fixed in my file pending printing the next version. I also learned that you can’t automatically center things on gears, because their height doesn’t match their width at all angles. Duh. :roll_eyes:

• Get it? :rofl:
15 Likes

I always leave a “helper” circle around gears for this purpose, then hide it before cutting.

6 Likes

Yeah, if I had created the gears myself I could do that, but instead I’m settling for doing it by eye. :wink:

Speaking of which…do you know of a planetary gear generator that will work on Mac, or online? I’m getting obsessive with this one to the point of wanting to change the number of teeth so that the “play” in the pointer is consistent around each point on the dial, but the math part of my brain has been knocked out of commission by the weather today (barometric pressure changes setting off my inner ear issues) and I can’t find an alternative that doesn’t require a Windoze system. sigh

(I really should go pack some boxes instead of playing with gears, but procrastination is my superpower!)

2 Likes

From my past self:

2 Likes

Ahhhh, I used that tool, but forgot about the crowbar. Thanks!

Also, I think per the forum’s implicit norms you’re actually supposed to say “Previously.” Although I guess stating that has now turned it into an explicit norm.

(Sorry, my group theory neurons just randomly fired…never mind, carry on!)

Wow, that’s a neat trick to get the SVGs from the calculator.

Since the planetary gears calculator is only needed for the number of teeth, you could also go with any other gear generator (I like the gears-dev extension for Inkscape) once you know the teeth value you need. That lets you play around with angles and all the other spur gear options that I don’t really know what they do.

@geek2nurse I’m not sure if you’re using Inkscape or not, but I’ve found that its rotational centers are correct for gears even without the external circle.

And I love that you’re modifying it and making it your own! I can’t believe the legs that this design has.

3 Likes

I mostly use Affinity Designer; it can create gears, but it hadn’t occurred to me to try generating these there. I think all the terminology I don’t understand made me think I couldn’t manage it on my own!

3 Likes

Just love this thread. Can’t wait to make a set of these for my adult children who love MTG.

1 Like

My first day on my new Glowforge, very happy with the results!

16 Likes

The patterns you chose are fabulous

8 Likes

Had to try this! Worked great. Next time I’ll use something other than draft board. Thanks for the file and instructions!

11 Likes

Im having trouble finding the actual file, i see the links to the videos and how to make it but not the actual file

Welcome to our group! :partying_face:

There are several variations you can download here mostly as SVGs so many folk have trouble recognizing them. If you see little or even tiny line images you can right-click on them and download is an option, and they should arrive as an SVG like this
(i think)
/uploads/db6859/original/3X/d/8/d85314bfe2824aebb50ce9cb94e78705cd1ebab8.svg

1 Like

For this entire forum, it’s a right click and save system - you’ll need to be using something other than IE or Edge (it won’t work in those), but Chrome, Safari, & Firefox all do (and possibly some others). You want to Save Image as SVG

3 Likes

Is there an attachment here with the numbers that’s available? I’d love that too. I’m a newbie so I’m still figuring out how I would put the numbers on it. Would you be able to tell me if could do that in AI as well or if I’d need to recreate the file in PS or somewhere? Thanks!

It’s there in the post you replied to - it’s just tiny right at the end of the sentence. Right click and hit save as (in Chrome/Safari/Firefox - it won’t work in IE or Edge)

Wow, thank you so much! I was able to see it in Firefox, I was using Chrome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow… now thats magic…