Ancillary Mode Dial

Loved that show :slightly_smiling_face:

My father-in-law had a chair like Frasier’s dad. We finally replaced it last weekend - he had fallen getting in or out and apparently landed on the arm which then tipped the whole thing over.

The nursing care staff called to tell us. (he wasn’t happy about that) so we decided he needed one with less puffy arms & not swiveling & rocking. We got one that can power stand him up. I told my wife I’d be stripping the guts out of the chairs and swapping the new one’s into the old one because he’d have a Martin fit and want the old one back. :slightly_smiling_face:

Fortunately he decided he liked the new one (or forgot about the old one, sometimes memory care has its upside).

And we ended up looking on Netflix & Amazon for Frasier re-runs :grinning:

3 Likes

Heh heh. Afraid I don’t watch much tv! My quote was from Douglas Adams, of Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy fame.

2 Likes

“Why,” he said, “is there a sofa in that field?”
“I told you!” shouted Ford, leaping to his feet. “Eddies in the space-time continuum!”
“And this is his sofa, is it?”

5 Likes

A fan of HGTTG myself, but for some reason Eddie from Frasier popped into my head…

hey. how did you do the gears? Any tool recommondation? This is awesome!!

I used http://thecatalystis.com/gears/ to generate them. Since there’s no export feature, I used a chrome tool called SVG Crowbar (on a GitHub page, easy to find) to extract the SVG file displayed onscreen. It’s a bit strange, you install it as a bookmark and then click the bookmark while on any page displaying SVG to get a download button.

7 Likes

I believe this is the correct site (you had a typo I believe)?

http://www.thecatalystis.com/gears/

4 Likes

That’s the one… Fixed, thanks! Editing on Android is hit-or-miss, and I was typing it in rather than copy-paste.

Many thanks!

1 Like

…and yet another bookmark!

1 Like

THANK YOU @timjedwards
This is just plain fun!
I used a font of my hand writing I made a while ago and engraved the text instead of printing. I changed the settings a bit too.

9 Likes

Very nice indeed! At first I thought it was a larger scale as well, and then I realized that it’s our hands that differ. :grin:

Is that a shim I see keeping it from twisting? I’m surprised, as someone else reported needing to sand a bit to place the base over the GF button.

Are you saying I have little hands…? :o) You are right. I did sand it…a little too much, so that is a piece of duck tape. Getting it to work was part of the fun. I also mixed the magnets north and south the first time. Yes, I read your tip, but those suckers are tricky. Thanks again!

4 Likes

So I’m FINALLY doing this project this weekend and I wondered when engraving the first piece (maple) if the protection layer / proofgrade sticker will add any significant thickness to the engrave? I’m a wood packrat and refuse to give up any pieces until I’ve truly used as much of the wood as I can. You should see my bones graveyard of proofgrade, plywood, etc. :slight_smile: I found a piece of proofgrade maple that will fit the first cut, but that sticker is right where the buttons go and want to ensure there’s enough of an engrave there.

It’s possible to slowly peel the sticker if it concerns you, but I doubt it would have a noticable affect on a non-delicate engrave.

I lost it at ‘Panic’. Now I must have one.

3 Likes

That makes a LOT of sense. I’m going to re-cut the inner ring and engrave the text. I cannot for the life of me get the GF to align the circle for cutting. I was going to engrave some dark card stock for white lettering on a black BG, but engraving to the maple makes more sense to me.

1 Like

I engraved the paper ring.

Mine has a “please work” setting.

5 Likes

I use the SVG generator at: http://GearGenerator.com - it’s an amazing free tool for making gears, and it outputs in svg format.

4 Likes