Magnet sheet

The stuff I use is black magnet material with a white masking layer. That layer peels off just like PG masking does - flick the edge with a fingernail and peel it off. Leaves a glue layer to affix the magnet backing to something else like wood, paper, cardstock, etc.

1 Like

You do, huh? Iā€™m very proud of ya. Thatā€™s very nice.

Voicemail transcript:

Hey, Chris, this is Caitlin from Johnson Plastics giving you a call. I just got your email here. You ordered the metal magnetic sheet, and it sounds like it could be like you got like an aluminum or something so what Iā€™m going to do is Iā€™m just going to issue a replacement for the to magnetic sheets, and Iā€™m thinking that you just they picked the wrong item at the warehouse, but if you have any more questions, give me a call back

Maybe it got stuck to something else in the warehouse. :slight_smile: Weā€™ll see what shows up as a replacement.

7 Likes

Yep. So I think the guys sent you the wrong stuff. What youā€™re looking for is definitely available. If they give you any stink about it, youā€™re right and theyā€™re just not getting it.

BTW, hereā€™s an alternate source for sheets of the stuff in case you can use something this size:

or

2 Likes

Thanks for the economical alternatives. I assume the options you referenced do not contain any vinyl or other does-not-play-nice-with-a-laser materials

So. I donā€™t think Iā€™m a particularly stupid person, but on occasion I do stupid things. I got home tonight and there was another package from Johnson Plastics (their stuff ships from multiple warehouses, so it arrives on different days) containing, of all things, the adhesive-backed magnet sheets I ordered.

I looked more carefully at the order, and I also have a sheet of black-on-gold Rowmark LaserMag. Which is presumably what arrived the other day, that I mistook for the adhesive sheet. Presumably if I engrave away the black from the correct side, there will be a gold color underneath. Oopsies.

16 Likes

Dā€™oh!!

On the other hand, if they donā€™t have some kinda label stuck to the material or at least pack it in a sleeve with a label, how are you supposed to know what it is if itā€™s not something you order all the time?

3 Likes

Not the dumbest person out there.

I heard of a guy who had a large toaster oven delivered to his house that heā€™d ordered online. While he was at work, his wife received the package and set it up. She decided to prepare dinner with the new appliance before he got home. Unfortunately, she reported to her husband when he arrived that the teriyaki chicken sub sandwich did not cook all the way through, but it did print a nice little ruler on the breadā€™s crust.

19 Likes

The fact that you admitted any mistake might make you the smartest person in the forum. Respect.

10 Likes

Not only is it unlabeled, but the individual boxes lack packing slips.

4 Likes

Too funny. I was about to say how Johnson has never done me wrong with something wrong with an order. (Because they havenā€™t.) But now all I can say isā€¦ Glad you got what you ordered. I look forward to seeing how it works for you!

Also, everything Iā€™ve ever ordered from Johnson has come with a packing list. Even partial shipments. Iā€™m surprised this did not for you. Everybody makes mistakes though. Glad it worked out in the end! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same, theyā€™ve always included a packing list (although on large order still have to sometimes figure which is which). Iā€™m glad they are up inPhoenix since always fun to go in person and pick up what I want !

1 Like

Iā€™m not complaining about them overall. Itā€™s my first order with them and it went very smoothly, selection is amazing, and the first box showed up the next day. There may even have been packing lists in most of them, but the one that contained nothing but the two magnet sheets, which I opened minutes before posting my update, definitely didnā€™t. Thatā€™s the only point at which I was paying attention.

you could also put the sheet in the field of a VERY STRONG magnet. that should realign the atoms and you should be good to go.

at least in theory.

Donā€™t see any recent comments on this, but I have a magnet sheet which I tried just recently and I too saw some sparks. They werenā€™t big and the fan seemed to blow them all away from the laser head so I didnā€™t think it would hurt. I didnā€™t want to run a cut with too much power however just in case. I tried 2 different settings, again not too much power, but I think the 2nd attempt was at 30 and cut speed at 200ā€¦ and both times it didnā€™t even cut thru all the way.

Iā€™m not sure who makes my magnet since I didnā€™t have any packaging for it. Itā€™s been sitting around the house for a year or so. Its made to be printed on as it has white on one side. No adhesive.

I have a plotter too but this seems way too thick to cut it with that.

Any one have any luck with any magnet sheets? Is there always a spark? What settings did you use?

What kind of plotter do you have? A good 60Ā° blade and sufficient downforce will cut magnetic sheet. You may have to run it upside down or put tape over metallic parts of the plotter. Slow speeds to make the blade last longer.

In case it got lost in the noise, the summary of my experience is: I accidentally cut a sheet of magnet-backed Rowmark thinking it was a plain magnet sheet. Thereā€™s some kind of metal foil in it which might explain all the sparks and funny behavior. Regardless, after finding everything coated in a spray of fine metal particles, I lost all short-term interest in cutting magnets again, even though I have the correct material now.

1 Like

@jbv US Cutter MH 871-MK2

Iā€™m really not sure it would pull my magnet sheet through the rollers, let alone cut itā€¦ its about as think as a PG plywood.

@chris1 Yeah I got that, was just wonder if others have tried cutting a sheet with good results. And as I mentioned, my magnet sheet caused sparks too.

your magnetic sheet may be too thick to reasonably cut with a plotter. I just cut some Magnum Magnetics digimag with my graphtec, using a 60Ā° blade and about triple the down-pressure that I use for sign vinyl (or about double what I use for wrap vinyl). It is 0.0355" thick. My quick test cut just deep enough to get through the magnetic material and mark the white surface treatment, but not break through. It pulled apart easily, but there are some spots where the white surface material didnā€™t split just right. Ideally you would put some kind of backer material on and adjust your cut to touch the backer but not cut into it. I used one layer of paper transfer tapeā€¦ another layer or two would make it easier, or using the much thicker vinyl-based clear transfer material.

When you cut reversed like this, make sure to reverse your designā€¦ exactly as I failed to do here.
Know that the magnetic material will do a number on your blades.

I did ask all of the magnet material manufacturers that I could find at my last trade show about laser-cutting their respective productsā€¦ not one of them came back with a solid ā€œyesā€ for me. :frowning: got a couple ā€œmight work, but we wonā€™t recommend it, and you may affect the magnetic qualities.ā€

From my research, at least for any kind of volume work, die-cutting is the way to go with magnetics.

3 Likes

Heat does tend to demagnetize things. (Magnetism results from atoms being aligned; heat means atoms are moving around, destroying that order.) But it should only affect material close enough to the laser beam to get hot; Iā€™d expect anything more than a half inch wide to retain its magnetism just fine.

3 Likes