Mahogany Wood Cut

Hi There,

I’m fairly new with my Glowforge Pro. I want to cut Mahogany wood (1/4" thick). I’ve messed around with the settings a lot. I’ve tried full power 500 speed, 2 passes. I’m cutting earrings, so a fairly small cut. I’m sorry if someone has already asked this question.

Thanks,
Tricia

Have you searched the forum for the word “mahogany” because there are a lot of examples/attempts. It seems it’s a tough wood to cut, but folks have been successful. Go forth and do a search :slight_smile:

1 Like

Best thing is experimenting with the sample of wood you have in hand. Proofgrade hardwood settings might be a good place to start. 500 speed is probably quite a bit too fast. Be careful as others have posted that mahogany flares more than expected. Fire bad!

I am moving this to Beyond the Manual since it is a discussion of non Proofgrade materials.

2 Likes

One of the many topics discussing mahogany.

I had no result that was acceptable with the pre-release. Pros might have a better crack at it.

2 Likes

Learn this method and you’ll be happy.

Mahogany isn’t mahogany isn’t mahogany. There are lots of subspecies, so you’re just going to have to test.

500 speed full power won’t make a dent in any wood really, so either you typoed or you’re way off.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m just going to stay away from it as I wouldn’t want to take the chance with flaring.
Tricia

I cut 1/8” mahogany all the time and get good results, but beware that hardwoods like to crack along their grains on fine pieces like filigree earrings. If you’re cutting solid shapes no problem but if it’s got a lot of thin pieces it’s a risk.

1 Like

You can get the lowdown here

The source of mahogany can make a big difference. The first I tried was very flammable, but then another piece made a very nice deeply engraved box.

3 Likes

This is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing. I’ll definitely
check this out.
Tricia

Apparently I didn’t search enough! Much appreciated. Thank you so much.
Tricia

1 Like

Thank you much. I appreciate you.
Tricia

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.