Make joints inside a frame - to create dividers

Hello,
I currently am creating a box, and want to section off certain areas within the box. I have no trouble making the box in inkscape, but am having trouble figuring out how I would be able to create joints within the box floor, and walls to make dividers. I am using inkscape and am not sure what to call this in order to find a tutorial or even how to go about it. In the link, I have attached it contains a picture of what I am talking about.

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

I mean, the easy way it to use the box maker you linked to and have them make the dividers - but if you want to do it yourself you would need to take one of your finger joint holes - make it a full rectangle, and put whatever number of those into the wall/floor of your box where you want a divider wall to go.

When I’m messing with something fiddly like this I’ll cut my test pieces out of cardboard the first few times so I’m not wasting material.

1 Like

Thank for information and useful insight. Somehow I still am not getting exactly what you are saying. I think it’s my fault for not understanding. Do you have a tutorial or some visual aid you can link to so I can follow along? What tool did you use to actually make the wholes in the walls?

1 Like

I’m using Inkscape as well. I’ll reiterate - it’s SO much easier to go to a box generator and have it do a box with the right number of cross-pieces than to do this all from scratch, but here’s a blow-by-blow. There are lots of small differences in the ways people do this, but this is mine.

Copy the wall you have.
Change the view so you can see the nodes.
Delete everything that isn’t the end you’re trying to match up with.
Break up the line so you have 3 sided rectangles and then close the 4th side of the rectangle to match the end.
image image
Drag that to where you want it to be.
Now when you cut it out you’ll have holes to put an end in the middle.

No obviously if all your ends aren’t identical (they probably won’t be) you want to be sure you’re matching the holes to the right type of end. Presuming you have you’ll print out something like this - and have a divider

9 Likes

Is this what you are trying to make? Tea or jam box

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the help, I understand now! The reason I thought a box generator would not work for me is that I want to make custom-sized dividers and I didn’t think there was a way to do that.

1 Like

If you start with a generated box - it’s much easier to move a line of holes (for example) 1 inch left than it is to create them from scratch. It saves you a bunch of steps even if the layout is not perfect to start :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @dierdrebeth!

1 Like